Frost Bitten Feet

I guess I cant upload the video BYC is not able to do that yet
sad.png

I know this will probably sound so ridiculous to you, because it's coming from a newbie. :) Last winter was my barred rock, and laced wyandotte's first winter outside. It was freezing in the teens and I noticed their feet getting kind of purple/reddish. I got some vet wrap, with some nonstick gauze, and wrapped up the pads of their feet loosly with some vaseline in the gauze and vet wrap. I would change it every 3 days and they got through the winter pretty well. I know it seems like a lot of work or silly, but their "snow" shoes did pretty well.

I did it like this, (not my picture)

I don't think that's ridiculous at all......in fact I'm glad you caught it before it was as bad as my little Frosty's feet.
I'm new to this chicken thing as well and with this frost bite thing it's been a major learning curve.
I'm very thankful to this site cause with out it I know our little Frosty would have been put down.
I hope your having a better winter this year.

Update.....Frosty is officially one of the house pets.
She is doing great. She likes to spend most of her time just hanging out with who ever will sit with her. She even tries to fly up onto your lap if you happen to not notice that she wants up.
Her little stubs have all healed and she is getting around better every day.
She tends to go in circles while trying walk but I think that's just a balance thing.
She is even getting her big girl voice now.

Back
Top Bottom