frost/ice bite?

newchicks

Songster
11 Years
Sep 13, 2008
KANSAS
sad.png
Oh my, on Dec. 27th here in ks. We had an ice storm, I was with my DH in NE. celebrating a joyful 34 yrs. of married bliss. I have 2 RIR's that with the cold and bad weather, and time change, had become rather confused with getting themselves in their barn before dark. I called the chicken sitter before dark to remind her to get them in, and she called me right back and she couldn't find them. She looked till it was dark and then some. So it stormed and shen she found the girls in the morning they were covered in ice. They acted fine and went about their day. We got home and they were eating drinking and pooping fine, not laying eggs for the month of Dec. though. However I have noticed that one of the girls comb is quite pale, I chalked it up to not laying, but they have started laying again for about a week now. The comb is still quite pale and even has a whiteish look to it, and even looks smaller. I think it looks like it froze in the ice storm. Is it possible that it got covered in ice, froze and that she can be healthy and fine anyway? Is there something I should watch for? Help...any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks:hit

:hitThere isn't any purple or black on it. It's just pale pink and white skin kind of flaking off, but not in a scarey way. Can she live with a withered comb like that? I can try to put up a picture tomorrow. I'm not very handy with the computor, but I'll see what I can do. My sitter and I are feeling soooo much guilt. Though she is eating and laying fine.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom