Frostbite, and it’s not even that cold yet

Alliesan648

Songster
Jun 20, 2018
Rock Creek, BC, Canada
My poor black copper maran rooster has frostbite again, the coldest it’s been here overnight has been -13 (33F) last night.
He got it last year during a much colder period and lost most of the tips on his comb (turned black and died off) I think last year it was due to my stupidity and not being diligent enough about changing out the bedding and possibly not having enough ventilation :(
I added more ventilation this year and have kept on top of the bedding situation yet here we are again.
Im assuming they more susceptible after having it once already?
What else can I do for him? the hens were pecking at it so I’ve separated him and put him in my utility shed in a crate and put polysporin on it.
I generally don’t agree with heating the coop but I’m thinking of buying a sweeter heater to put over the roost to mitigate his frostbite once it heals again.
Any thoughts on what else I could do?

Can you post any pictures of the comb? You are correct that once a comb has frostbite, it is more prone to repeated frostbite. Some people do not put anything on frostbitten combs, some use something like a waxy substance that sled dog racers use, and some think that creams or vaseline may cause more problems. Here is a good article with preventions and treatments:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Can you post any pictures of the comb? You are correct that once a comb has frostbite, it is more prone to repeated frostbite. Some people do not put anything on frostbitten combs, some use something like a waxy substance that sled dog racers use, and some think that creams or vaseline may cause more problems. Here is a good article with preventions and treatments:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

thanks for that link, lots of good info!
sorry for the large picture size. It looks like it’s just on the tips right now. the darker parts are blood I think. (It’s all shiny from the polysporin which maybe I should not have put on but too late now :/ )

C476C690-2ABE-4FD4-ACBF-9EBF2653D9B6.png

Back
Top Bottom