Frostbite and Protecting Combs

I picked up the bag balm and will try it on the single comb hens and the Rooster--even though he's already dubbed...just as a moisture barrier I guess. This time of year we are drizzling wet and then at night it freezes and my birds sometimes go to roost with damp back feathers and such-- most likely contributing to added moisture in the coop evaporating off of them--good ventilation yet this is where we get our issues. It's a tricky time of the year.

I'll probably use that bag balm on their legs too as a little added barrier for any mites that may be wanting to find a winter home. It's got a little sulfa in it I think...I haven't read the label since last winter...and I think that's good for keeping pests off and element known for antibiotic qualities.

Sorry for the late chime...I'm in NJ and we do not nearly get weather that cold (at least not at extended clips), but I have chickens who are susceptible to frostbite. My recommendation would be a heat lamp normally, but this might not help. What I have done on the frigid nights is bring my Minorcas into the garage. It is about 45-50 degrees in there, and I throw them outside when the sun is up. This way, in the below freezing temperatures, I know they aren't in danger. If you have a spare dog that is a little as three feet tall, you can cover the bottom in newspaper and then wedge an old broomstick (or make a roost with 2x4 wood) and they will sleep soundly providing it is dark. This would be very difficult to do with week long weather at -30, but it will certainly protect the roo. Good luck!

The weather here has plummeted to arctic temps early, and as I speak it's -18, supposed to be -21 tonight with a high of 8 today. My coop is dry and still hovering about 0 degrees inside. I have 2 heat lamps on the roosts, which I think helps them a little. All the same, my rooster and 3 hens have got frostbite on their combs. It's nothing horrible yet, but they are going to lose a few tips. My new question is regarding this frostbite. I know that the black parts will fall off and heal on their own, and that I should keep an eye on things to make sure there is no infection. What should I have on hand to prevent/treat infection? Would neosporin do the trick, or would you guys recommend something else?

Signs of infection would be lethargy, lack of appetite, more drainage from the comb. It will be foul smelling as well.

If you get to that point. You'll need to clean the comb twice a day. Good antibiotic soap and water or iodine solution. Reapply Neosporin (that brand is perfect--but watch out for the Neosporin that has lidocaine in it--it's toxic to birds) If your bird continues to fail then you might want to ask your vet for an Rx of Baytril or Cephalexin.

This crazy cold weather. Poor birds.

well, I'm bummed, my d'uccle cockerel got frostbite. I started deep litter, keep the coop front big door open all day about 8" so plenty of air comes in, it has vents and roof ventilation. I read humidity is the problem, our weather shows 68% humidity. I need a humidity gage for the coupe I guess. I wouldn't think it's humid in there, I close door at night. Sometimes run heat (I know, I shouldn't). It's been cold, but not that cold so I'm doing something wrong.

Sounds like you are doing alot right. I believe that Cold is Cold and sometimes the breed is wrong for the climate, unfortunately. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. It happens. You just need to follow through with the care of the frost bite now.

well, I'm bummed, my d'uccle cockerel got frostbite. I started deep litter, keep the coop front big door open all day about 8" so plenty of air comes in, it has vents and roof ventilation. I read humidity is the problem, our weather shows 68% humidity. I need a humidity gage for the coupe I guess. I wouldn't think it's humid in there, I close door at night. Sometimes run heat (I know, I shouldn't). It's been cold, but not that cold so I'm doing something wrong.

Ever see frost inside your coop? On the walls, ceiling? That would be a sign that you don not have enough ventilation/fresh air flow. If so, open it up more.

If the humidity outside is that high that is sometimes hard to deal with. I imagine the temps are border line freezing at that humidity level....? I actually find it harder to avoid frostbite with those freezing rain sort of days no matter the ventilation level. Opening the coop will help to some degree.

Ever see frost inside your coop? On the walls, ceiling? That would be a sign that you don not have enough ventilation/fresh air flow. If so, open it up more.
nope, it seems very dry in there to me. I have tossled the litter up with my hands and it's always dry. I think some of his first signs were when he was outside before it snowed enough to where they stay in.

I rubbed vicks on it last night and will do again shortly. Massaged it like I had read. It didn't look any worse this morning. It's in the teens here today.

I'm not sure if mentholatum is good for combs. I have not heard of Vicks for frostbit combs. If it is slightly frost bit use some Neosporin ointment or Bag Balm. Watch out for Lidocaines or "pain relievers" in the ointments you put on as they are toxic to birds.

Back
Top Bottom