Frostbite--can it begin with yellowing? So upset!

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I cannot believe it, but it looks like 2 of the spikey, tiny ends of my bantam's small comb are yellowing.
I believe I read somewhere on BYC that means frostbite. I am so upset this happened to her. I did not think it would happen as I had used lights and lots of ventilation (for daytime in small, draft-free coop). They sleep in the (cold) garage w/ a lamp, not too close, just to take some of the chill out of the air. Although, her spiny little comb has ends about the size of the small end of a flat toothpick, they are tiny and vulnerable.

Can the blackening be prevented? I put Neosporin (w/o pain reliever) on, is there anything else I can do?
Should I put Vaseline on top of the Neosporin?
Why didn't she keep her head under her wing at night, don't all chickens do that?
It's been in the 20's here, but I didn't expect frostbite without moisture build-up.
sad.png

Quote:
I live in your general area and it has been cold enough to cause frost bite. You could still put some vaseline on the comb but it probably will not help. You don't have to have moisture buildup to have frost bite.

Back
Top Bottom