frostbite? comb is bleeding

mommy3

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Plantsville, CT
Here I go again! Ok, 11 month old red was in the corner of the run. I brought some treats out and she got up limping. I immediatley checked her butt because 3 months ago we lost a RIR that had vent gleet and was limping and stumbling and hadn't eaten. So her vent is clean and looks good but she did have some yellow/white poo on some feathers so I cleaned her up with warm water and while I had her inside her comb was bleeding! I don't think she got left out all night, but today was 25 degrees so if she was out all day could it have gotten frostbite? Everyone else was in the coop roosting! I have her inside now and used some electrolyte tabs in water for her and she did drink some of that right away. I am hoping the rest will do it but what about her comb? I know I have read to use vaseline to help prevent it but what about now? Please respond if you have a suggestion!

I'd put some Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment on it, and keep her separated til healed. Be sure it has no "caine" drug in it (benzocaine, cetacaine, etc.) Frostbite is generally caused by humidity buildup in a poorly ventilated coop, more than low temps.

thank you! Everyone else in the coop is fine, I have a sensor in there and the humidity has been around 40% only goes higher on rainy days and then goes right back down. we have high and low vents and the coldest in the coop it has been was during the day today it was 36. I have a bulb in there that keeps it around 40 most nights.

OMG! She just died! 3:30 in the morning! I posted this seperate as well! My daugher just woke me up because she heard thumping and thought it might have been the chicken. She was dead on her back and there was some mucous it looked like on her feathers by her beak. Now I am worried it might go through the whole flock whatever this is! Coulld it be merricks? I thought that hit birds when they are little? She is just under a year old so I guess that is still young- if it is what do I do for the rest of my chickens? I got 3 rir's from a lady that got them from a hatchery but her house was disgusting and she had tons of chickens, roosters and ducks among many other animals. I had 4 rir's - one was from a hatch of ours, she was only girl, and I have 3 barred rocks that we hatched and dearly love. I believe the two that have died are from the purchase. Hard to tell because there is only a week between them. I don't know what to do!!

Back
Top Bottom