frostbite is like a burn....so why use vaseline I ponder....

SandraChick

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
WAY North Coastal California
So---

I've never had a chicken with frostbite and I know vaseline is used as a preventative and understand that theory.

Then at somepoint in the last few days, it dawned on me that frostbite has been described as a type of burn and then my brain goes for a loop and says for burns you shouldn't use things like vaseline to treat it. There is such a thing as burn creame (which I've used on myself and is quite effective).

Just one of those things that's bugging me and I need to understand....anybody help? I'm one of those gotta know why people!

Sandra

The thing is to use vaseline before they get frostbite to prevent it. It is a protective layer so moisture from when they exhale from breathing in extreme cold weather can't settle on the comb and waddles. Frostbite is caused by moisture in the air and that is why ventilation in the coop is so important. Leaving fresh air in and moisture out.

bigzio

Well Big W ....that was Sooooooooo interesting to me I decided to just post the relevant section....

The second thing that seems to come up a lot is those frozen combs – or frostbite. Some people mistakenly think that frostbite can only occur on single comb chickens, and even then, only on the roosters. The truth is that although the single comb breeds are more susceptible, any type of comb (or wattle) can freeze, given the right circumstances. The reason most females don’t experience this is because they sleep with their heads buried under their feathers. But a hen that doesn’t follow this practice is just as susceptible to frostbite as any rooster, if she has a larger comb.

Primarily two things cause frozen combs – drafts and moisture when below freezing temperature conditions exist.

If you can eliminate the drafts and keep the moisture level down inside of the coop, then you’re halfway there. If the temperature gets low enough though, there isn’t much you can do. But there is one practice that seems to help reduce the damage. Many people believe that if you massage Vaseline into your birds’ combs and wattles, they will not freeze. I ran a study of my own on this last year and found that although Vaseline versus no Vaseline made little difference, what did make a difference was the time I took to massage the Vaseline into the comb. In other words, although I think the Vaseline does work to seal out moisture and drafts – the two main culprits in frostbite – what was actually more important was the activity of massaging the Vaseline in. The longer I massaged it in, the more effective it was. So the conclusion I came to and later confirmed with a Vet was that the most vulnerable combs were those with poor circulation, and by massaging these combs, you can actually increase the blood flow to the area and therefore help keep it warm

for the full article go to: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page16.htm

Sandra​

I'm sure this discussion stemmed from me suggesting that Jill treat her rooster with Vaseline, I heard this remedy from an old timer and unfortunately had to try it once on 5 of my hens and it worked great on all of them. I agree it does sound alittle strange but nevertheless very affective.

I am anxious to hear how it worked for Jill's rooster.

Dean

DeanW-

You're one of many people who suggest it....heck...I've heard such good things about it, I've suggested it. I totally understand how it works as a PREVENTATIVE...but I'm at a loss for what's the best thing to do as TREATMENT once frostbite has happened. My braincells want to know!

Sandra

Sandrachick,

I agree with you it is probably better as a PREVENTATIVE, but it did seem to work as a TREATMENT, but I'm sure there is something out there that would work better. Maybe a basic burn cream?

Dean

Back
Top Bottom