Ivermectin

Anyway, I guess all I am trying to say is if someone has a chicken that needs medication, just use it, but do follow some sort of withdrawal if that sort of thing matters to you.
And all I'm saying is maybe its better not to use it in case it proves to be toxic to your chickens, if that sort of thing matters to you.

I used ivermectin cattle pour on to save a silkie from leg mites a few years ago that someone gave me(not sure if they were scaly, but the scales were all lifted and/or gone and the borrowing had gone to the point stuff was rotting off and feet were almost unrecognizable due to festering debris). She lost two toes and her rotten feet were gag-worthy and deformed looking for a long time, but after dosing at night the morning after she immediately began getting better (and I redosed a little over a week later, as I always do). I think I used .5 cc on the back, which is a lot for a light weight, but that bird had become so weak she couldn't stand and she would have been dead by morning. I figured death by overdose would be fine and if it didn't kill her it just might save her. She made a full recovery minus the toes and retired from being a mite hotel to be a free range crabby silkie broody. I just gifted her to a friend to be an incubator a few weeks ago. I don't know how hold she was at the time I got her, but she'd be turning at least 5 this year, but she was probably a year or two older than that as the nails on her rotten feet were quite long already at the time.

Ivermectin is my favorite wormer if I ever have to worm my animals, and not just for birds. Yes, you can use it, yes it's cool. I worry less when I get just a little on me. Yes, it's off label and some people just flip out if you don't follow the rules, but hey, our business is keeping our animals alive, not making people happy (plus, I have goats, and due to lack of products for them they've taught me to "break" the rules a lot due to only having ONE wormer "approved" for them and very few meds and supplements). It's unlikely you'll get in trouble. That being said, I encourage at least a 2 week withdrawl, but even that is up to you. And not use it too much. If you need use them more often I'd pick something else to rotate ivermectin out with occasionally and examine husbandry practices. I'm of the opinion that a nice, strong chemical wormer treatment once or twice every few years is more valuable than a constant drip of over-used wormers or untested, unproven, unverified herbal concoctions.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with your SLM! They are awful.

Here is an interesting article.
http://bluetamago.blogspot.com/2017/05/ivermectin-for-chickens.html
ivermectin residue_1.png

Back
Top Bottom