Frostbite on Comb & Olive Oil

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    As you recall, my rooster has a very large comb that is susceptible to frostbite. Someone in another chicken group just shared a tip with me. She says she rubs the combs of her large-combed chickens with a mix of olive oil and cayenne pepper, and it really helps protect the comb and increases blood flow to the comb. I wouldn't have thought of that; would you? I thought it was a good tip.

Speaking of olive oil, would you mind voting for my recipe below? I'd love to win a trip to Spain and take my poor rooster with me! He just hates this super cold weather we are having here:

Here is wlhere you would vote:

http://biggestoliveoilcookbookcontest.com/recipe/249

Thanks for your help,

Clare

2. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    But, there's just no way he would ever submit to having me put olive oil on his comb. He is very independent-minded, my rooster. :>)

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Easy...

Wait until he is on the roost.... he will be sleepy.... put some Vaseline on his comb ( it lasts longer than olive oil and is messy too........) enjoy !

Suzie

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    He is very aggressive, even at night. If I go in the coop, he is on high alert, thinking I am a raccoon. My boy has a very active imagination. I am glad he is such a good protector of his hens, but I sure don't want to get in the way of his beak. That has happened a few too many times, and I have the scars to prove it. But he's beautiful, and I love him. I just want it to warm up so he can enjoy the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by