Frostbite or fowl pox?

Philosorapteuse

Chirping
Dec 4, 2020
Hi folks - new to this, could use some help. We’ve had a really cold snap this week, and we noticed one of our bantam boys has some scabby-looking black patches on his comb. One of the hens also has some dark patches. My first thought is frostbite given the weather, but somewhat worried it might be fowl pox - or possibly injury from scrapping. Struggling to tell from comparing with pictures online, so more experienced views very welcome! We’d not anticipated trouble with frostbite where we live, but we’ve had heavy snow for a week or so. They’re still lively and eating well, no respiratory difficulties or anything.

Opinions?? I’ve seen so much conflicting advice for frostbite, especially about petroleum jelly - should we be leaving it alone rather than putting anything on it?

016FDC10-1868-462E-A7AB-47342D1D5B4D.jpeg
DAC398A7-2205-40DE-B952-BA7F098DF811.jpeg
6DD55B48-8510-4002-9AD8-5A7D68AD506A.jpeg
83A4B5F7-A326-4668-B84F-67BA2D8CAD19.jpeg

the tips of the comb usually freeze first. I believe it looks like dry blood on the comb. From pecking or fighting, its usual and nothing to worry about if its just a little bit of bickering going on. I have no experience with fowl pox, so i wouldn't know. If they are doing fine other than the spots on the comb i think they are fine.

It's definitely not frostbite. The black bumps are a little too symmetrical for pecking wounds, though, in my opinion. I vote for a very light case of dry pox or something like it. My roos have had that in the past, though not in recent years. They had the raised bumps on the rest of the comb like your roo. I would paint Blu-kote on the bumps with a Q-tip and that would dry them up. If those are pecking wounds, the Blu-kote also will help heal them.

Injury is a distinct possibility, though not sure about the paler crusty bits - he and our other roo had a proper set-to this week, had to wrangle the other party in the bathtub to get the blood off him! The fact that Ulrika (hen pictured) has dark patches too gives me pause though. Although apparently she‘s come in for some pecking lately, so...

Back
Top Bottom