Frostbite or Something Else?

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
Hey, all!

My rooster has huge comb and wattles, and it's started getting pretty cold where I am and snowing a lot. He and the ladies (mostly the Leghorns) have been getting some black on their tips that seem to come and go. But now the black on the rooster is getting worse and growing a yellow spot just in the last couple days. We've put Vaseline on them a few times a while back, but I've also read that can be bad with holding in the moisture. So I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do.

Today I noticed the yellow part is swelling. And he's shaking his head quite a bit (which he does occasionally generally, but now it's happening very frequently in just the few minutes I was feeding them and taking these pictures), so I don't know if it's hurting him or something. Does anyone know what this issue is and what I can do to fix it?

Right now they have a mobile coop that's been moved inside our barn, so it's an enclosed coop inside an enclosed part of the barn. I'll open the sliding barn door when the weather's nice, but otherwise, it's closed with straw bales covering the bottom half of it. Edit to add: In the coop, we also have several flat panel heaters on one side to help keep them warm if they want it. I think it's called Cozy Coop, but I don't think they really sit by them much.

Thanks in advance!

1642965488015.png

1642965615420.png

Appears to be frostbite. I would stop putting Vaseline on it and just let it do its thing. Nothing you can really do at this point. Unfortunately frostbite is quite common in large single combs.

Last edited:
I agree that is frostbite. Vaseline or other creams and ointments can freeze and make things worse. I would not treat it, but make sure that he is eating and drinking. It will be painful, and the head shaking is due to that. Do not massage or rub the comb as it heals. Do not break the blister. The tips will be more rounded off when it eventually heals.

I agree that is frostbite. Vaseline or other creams and ointments can freeze and make things worse. I would not treat it, but make sure that he is eating and drinking. It will be painful, and the head shaking is due to that. Do not massage or rub the comb as it heals. Do not break the blister. The tips will be more rounded off when it eventually heals.
Thank you! Do you or Overo Mare have any recommendations on how to prevent it in the future?

Back
Top Bottom