Frostbite or something else?

Australorpfamily

Songster
Mar 26, 2023
Central Indiana
Yes, we have been in this lovely artic blast here in Indiana. We were able to block wind and keep vents open, and out of 20 girls (+6chicks) this Nugget is the only one with something funky going on with her comb. I'm assuming frostbite and just plan on watching her, but decided to post in case it's something else?

Just noticed it today, even with negative highs I've been checking them out since last Friday when our weather started (today has been a reprieve from the bitter cold finally) I've had to take water out every 1-2 hours since Sat due to the sheer frigid temps, so am always able to check on them regardless.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240117_195143699.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240117_195143699.MP.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20240117_195142240.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240117_195142240.MP.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 21
That was the cold front that just visited me, and caused one of my roosters to get frostbite. Yes, the hen definitely has frostbite on her comb. The white means the tissue has been killed. That part will eventually turn black and the tissue will be like a burned cinder. Then it will detach and fall off. No, it won't grow back. Her comb will be dubbed for good.

Do not try to do anything to the damaged tissues as it will cause more harm. But you do need to protect this hen from further freezing temps while she's in this condition. She will also be more susceptible to frostbite in the future because of this episode.

If she is acting like she's in pain, and yes, frostbite hurts as bad a a burn would, you can give her one 81 grain chewable aspirin twice a day.

That was the cold front that just visited me, and caused one of my roosters to get frostbite. Yes, the hen definitely has frostbite on her comb. The white means the tissue has been killed. That part will eventually turn black and the tissue will be like a burned cinder. Then it will detach and fall off. No, it won't grow back. Her comb will be dubbed for good.

Do not try to do anything to the damaged tissues as it will cause more harm. But you do need to protect this hen from further freezing temps while she's in this condition. She will also be more susceptible to frostbite in the future because of this episode.

If she is acting like she's in pain, and yes, frostbite hurts as bad a a burn would, you can give her one 81 grain chewable aspirin twice a day.
Thanks. They girls always choose different roosting spots and I'm not sure where she was when it happened. Because our wind has been from the south I have the west north and part of east vents open - the entire top of the coop is vents (I should have pics in my content somewhere)

Poor girl! Be sure she does not have to put her head into any openings in order to eat or drink while her comb heals. We had a BJG who suffered frostbite to his large comb and wattles and our feeder was the type with ports the chickens have to put their heads into in order to eat. He could not do so without pain! We fed him separately in a flat dish until he healed.

Poor girl! Be sure she does not have to put her head into any openings in order to eat or drink while her comb heals. We had a BJG who suffered frostbite to his large comb and wattles and our feeder was the type with ports the chickens have to put their heads into in order to eat. He could not do so without pain! We fed him separately in a flat dish until he healed.
Good info hadn't thought of that but all our feeders and water is open on tops

Although as I think, she could have been the girl in the nest box at 6am (half an hour before the light above the nest boxes comes on) we have a camera and I'm able to check lol Tuesday morning when it was still -9F. Nest boxes are in enclosed section of pen attached to coop.

<shakes head> This weather has been brutal. It's 20° here in SE Missouri tonight, about the first double digits we have seen in over a week. And thank God the wind quit, whew!

Back
Top Bottom