Frostbite... Photos

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
The boys are pecking the living crap out of each other lately... I wanted to add pictures to double check this is frostbite and not pecking issues.

Dominant Rooster - Captain, 21 weeks.
Capt_Frostbite109.jpg

3rd in command - Chief, 21 weeks
Chief_Frostbite109.jpg

I'm not for sure what frostbite looks like either. From what I see, it looks like the tips might be frostbitten and the spots are from pecking. Do you think so, too?

looks like frostbite to me, Shellie. Can you get rid of a couple of those roos? Less fighting, I can tell you from recently getting rid of 8 extra roos the difference in the coop is amazing. Put some Vaseline on those combs..it will help during cold weather. When I saw pecking on my roos there was evidence of bleeding.

I believe it's fighting as well as frostbite. The tips are black and swollen... but there's small scabs and they tear each others waddles. You would think that 5 roos to 20 hens wouldn't be THAT bad... but apparently, they want to kill each other. I figure once I get rid of 3-4, we'll be okay.

I'm going to look for my vaseline, but I may have used it all on the leg mites on those hens I bought a few months back... Can I use baby oil on it you think?

the frostbite is at the top of the comb and may be the edges of the wattles. The pecking is lower on the comb and could be on the wattles. There isnt much you can do. Dont try to take it off though, or it wont grow back. If you can, try and rub the comb to get it warmer. Some say vaseline works, some say it doesnt.

Strange, all but one of my roos is ok this year. The one has frostbite on the tip[s(too bad), I guess he is just more cold blooded? than the rest.

Good Luck

Thanks Kris. I didn't have this problem until it dropped to -16 & -20 this week... They had some pecking issues last week and I thought it might have been frostbite, but this definitely is. I think it's so cold they aren't leaving the barn much and cabin fever is hitting them. LOL

your welcome Good luck with them Shellie. I tried to remove the black part from a roo last year and put medicine on it. (bad idea-but I didnt know at the time) Your roos combs look pretty good, that one may lose just a bit.

my roo has a little just on the very tips but with a heat lamp on the roost its staying about 10 degrees warmer in the coop. Its only been down to about -5 here and Im only an hour or 2 south of you. Im no expert but the black spots look like pecking, I had a problem in the summer when they were teenagers and promptly got rid of the 2 lesser males. Do you have any heat source in your coop?

Yes, that's frostbite (even the little black spots). I've only happen when it gets down to 10 degrees or less. The vaseline does help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom