1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frostbite Treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eastereggermom, Jan 4, 2013.

1. eastereggermom

eastereggermom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    Please read my thread in Social regarding my chicken who vanished for 18 days in Northeast Ohio! Happy news!

But, now that she is back, I am not certain what to look for regarding illness or frostbite. She is a 10 month old Easter Egger, and her comb (little that there is) looks ok. Feet too, but she sure didn't want to go back outside in the snow after she warmed up inside.

After so many days of exposure, is there anything I should be watching for/treating?

She is back in the coop, with lots of pine chip bedding, the heat lamp, food and water. Anything else?

2. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    maybe Vaseline, or petroleum jelly for her wattle or comb and if her legs are dry.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Petroleum Jelly is Vaseline. And yes that would be good for frostbite and dry legs.

4. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    I know petroleum jelly is Vaseline but I wasn't sure I spelled it right XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by