Frostbite treatments

wildmountainboy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
I have a roo with a pretty bad case of frostbite on his comb and a bit on the waddle and a hen with just the tips of her comb.

I noticed it this evening when I got home from work. I had them in I nice but small coop with a heat lamp but it caught fire just the other morning and burnt to the ground thankfully the only casualties were 2 eggs. (I'm done with heat lamps)

I have them in my old quail tractor. It's rectangle and open to the ground and on 3 sides. I had the open ends covered with plywood and a tarp leaving only one of the small ends open halfway for an entrance. And deep hay inside for bedding. They are still laying eggs.

I'm not sure if he got frost bitten during the night or while he was out in the day. But the coop has plenty of ventilation probably too much.

The feet are fine. The Roos comb is blue grey in the middle but some of the tips are still red. And his waddle has tan coloration on the bottom edge.

I need some advise on treatment of frostbite and winterizing a makeshift coop and run until I am off work to build a new one.

I tried the industrial reflective styrofoam but they started eating it so I had to take it down. I will post some photos of the current set up and the frostbite when I get off work tomorrow.

Thanks for any information anyone could help me with.

Last edited:
I went over to my neighbors house earlier and her chickens hat some frostbite as well. I helped her treat them. First, she put on a layer of nosprin, and then some petroleum jelly over that. The first sign of frosbite is when the comb or waddle turns white, then picks up a grey/black pigment. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom