Frostbite?

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
Welp, day 2 of ridiculous weather and I'm pretty sure a couple of my roosters are developing frostbite on their combs, one of them I'm quite positive has a pretty bad case of frostbite. Portions of their combs have turned black with a small amount of white bordering the black areas. Doesn't look like scabs or pecking wounds. My phone was dead most of the day so I couldn't take a picture but we have power back for now.

I've blocked the wind as much as I can but my coop was built for ventilation. Bringing them inside isn't an option right now. I've basically already done everything that I can to help them so hopefully they can make it through the next couple of days. But, once this is all over what will I need to do to treat their combs? Just treat it like a normal wound?

If your combs are already black, their combs are done. There is nothing more you can do. I'd leave them outside (If you was to bring them in, it'd just hurt them with the unthawing. Only bring them in if there was bad swelling.) Give them time and their combs will fall off (all that's black). Then that'll be it, it might be a little pink for awhile where they lost their combs. If you want to, once you see their combs starting to detach, you can help them out by finish taking it off gently. If you (or your hens) do that , it might bleed in a couple of places if it wasn't fully ready. Then if you do that you can keep the frostbitten part as a souvenir. :D

That sure was a super cold spell--minus 19F here in Kansas. About half my chickens have frostbitten spots on their combs all from the coldest night. I'm kindof bummed, because it's a little ugly, but it seemed inevitable.

Can you post pictures of any combs? It can be tough to prevent frostbite in severe cold conditions. I have seen a couple of cases here even though we only get into single digits for a short time each winter. It is best if the ventilation is overhead, and no drafts down where the chickens roost. I think this winter probably has caused mire frostbite than usual. Combs will become more rounded off in the next couple of months if the frostbite was severe. Wattles can also become shortened if they have gotten wet and frozen. I don’t normally treat frostbite, just leave it alone. Applying vaseline, creams, or sprays can actually cause more freezing unless the chicken is brought indoors. Do not massage or rub the frostbitten tissue, as that can damage the tissue more and cause pain.

It wound up not being as bad as it could have been. The day I posted this thread it looked like at least 5 were going to have a hard time surviving. I lost one of them and the one rooster that had a really impressive comb and wattles is getting ready to drop them. But, could have been much worse.

Back
Top Bottom