Chickadee00

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
Since it's getting colder here I wanted to rub my girls' combs with Vaseline, when I saw this strange white spot on Phoebe. Does anyone know what this is? I always thought frostbite is darker, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20211205_163852.jpg
    IMG_20211205_163852.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211205_163918.jpg
    IMG_20211205_163918.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Not frostbite. It's caused by restricted blood in that area. It's similar like the way your finger turns a yellowish white color when you apply pressure to it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it turns purple. I believe alot of the blood flow is being directed to keep the body core warm, since it's getting colder out.

Looks like dry skin, common in winter and when not laying. Vaseline does not prevent frostbite, but creams and ointments can actually freeze and make it more likely. Having no direct drafts, keeping good overhead ventilation, and a dry coop and bedding out of the rain, can help to prevent frostbite.

Looks like dry skin, common in winter and when not laying. Vaseline does not prevent frostbite, but creams and ointments can actually freeze and make it more likely. Having no direct drafts, keeping good overhead ventilation, and a dry coop and bedding out of the rain, can help to prevent frostbite.
This is dry skin.
20211111_113656.jpg

I do agree that Vaseline, or Petroleum Jelly will make frostbite more likely, if not worse in freezing temperatures.

Not frostbite. It's caused by restricted blood in that area. It's similar like the way your finger turns a yellowish white color when you apply pressure to it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it turns purple. I believe alot of the blood flow is being directed to keep the body core warm, since it's getting colder out.
Alright, thank you, I'm always too worried about my ladies haha

Thanks for this reply. It's been hovering around zero and single digits to the teens here this week, and my molting girl has those white bits on her comb & wattles. I hope you are correct and that it's just dry skin. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom