Frostbite

Where is the possible frostbite located? Toes, comb, or wattles? Can you post a picture at some time? What have been the lowest temps? Are they in a closed coop our of any drafts with some overhead ventilation?

Where is the possible frostbite located? Toes, comb, or wattles? Can you post a picture at some time? What have been the lowest temps? Are they in a closed coop our of any drafts with some overhead ventilation?
I haven't been able to get a picture of him, but the area is on his comb. It's miscolored, but not bad. The lows have been in the mid to upper 20's so far, but it's supposed to get a lot colder in the next couple of days. He's inside a coop at night and can go in and out during the day.

If you can slip up on him on the roost at night using a red headlamp, you might be able to get a picture on your phone. I agree that most frostbite on combs needs to be left alone to heal. Some mild cases look better in a few days, while some may take a week or so to show the amount of damage. Do not apply any creams or ointment to the comb,,since those may freeze.

I had a rooster with a big comb and wattles get frostbite twice. Each time, the damaged tissue turned black and hard, like a scab. Eventually, it fell off.

I did nothing to treat it, other than to leave it alone.

J
I haven't been able to get a picture of him, but the area is on his comb. It's miscolored, but not bad. The lows have been in the mid to upper 20's so far, but it's supposed to get a lot colder in the next couple of days. He's inside a coop at night and can go in and out during the day.
Just along the edge of his comb right now.

Back
Top Bottom