Frostbitten Chickens

CookieChicken18

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2017
In previous years my chickens had done fine in the cold, but after a recent cold blast I went out the other day and they had some pretty noticable frostbite. All of them have it on their combs, and a few on their wattles. I put vaseline on their combs but is there anything else I can do to make sure that their combs don't get all messed up? Thanks!

The advice I have gotten here on byc is that the vaseline and bag balm is used as a preventative. Once frostbite has occurred, you should leave it be.

I watch for infection but most healthy birds seem to heal well from frostbite.

Too much moisture in the Coop. Poop, water and breath are all moisture. Possibly the Roost is too high?. Moisture rises. Clean poop daily. Old lady I know uses Cow salve for udders and it helps. Ask a pharmacist for it. I don't know the actual name of it?..

This happened mainly to my white leghorn as she has a huge comb. I put on vaseline but the tips were frost bitten and some tips have dropped off. She appears happy and healthy and there is no blood. I'm just going to leave her be.

Too much moisture in the Coop. Poop, water and breath are all moisture. Possibly the Roost is too high?. Moisture rises. Clean poop daily. Old lady I know uses Cow salve for udders and it helps. Ask a pharmacist for it. I don't know the actual name of it?..
Probably bag balm. :D or udder balm.

Back
Top Bottom