Frostbitten Comb- Vaseline Didn't Work

Since you said your coop is well insulated, I would check to see if you have too many chickens in the coop, even though you said Daisy is the only one with frostbite, remember it is supposed to be 2 square feet per chicken, the only reason I say this is the moisture from their breath can cause lots of moisture and that can be a source of increased moisture in the coop even though it is well ventilated.

She is part of our show bird flock (3 time winner! because of her comb, we won't be showing her again, so I guess she'll just free-range eventually like some other birds on our farm) and the coop is 24 sq. ft. there are only 8 birds in their now, because Daisy is in the house, so there is 3 sq. ft. for each bird. They are not crowded at all. Whenever I open the people-door to the coop on a cold day, I feel the warmth in the coop

Last edited:
the more ventilation you have the better. I dodge drafts by hanging a towel or blanket over the lower half of the windows. I would not like to see fogging windows in my coop! Lack of oxygen can contribute to frostbite also. I believe that when people have chickens that won't go into a coop, they seriously have a problem with their coop. Either air quality or space issues!

We have 3 vents for year-round vent and another 2 seasonal vents on every coop on our farm. Our chickens do go in the coop every night. I never saw a fogging window

She is part of our show bird flock (3 time winner! because of her comb, we won't be showing her again, so I guess she'll just free-range eventually like some other birds on our farm) and the coop is 24 sq. ft. there are only 8 birds in their now, because Daisy is in the house, so there is 3 sq. ft. for each bird. They are not crowded at all. Whenever I open the people-door to the coop on a cold day, I feel the warmth in the coop
At one time I showed light brown leghorn bantams. In the winter when they are not laying the hens combs were no problem. Any roosters or cockerels that I planned on showing were moved into the cellar for the winter - much to the chagrin of my wife.
lol.png
Almost all roosters housed outdoors experienced some degree of frostbite even though my coops were dry and well ventilated. Free ranging in the cold was enough to result in frozen combs.

I put a little Neosporin on the frostbitten area of the comb and viola, it works like a charm!! My little hen don't like it and shakes her head until most of it is off so I rub a thin layer on it. Good Luck

Use carmex for cold sores it numbs the area, softens and promotes healing. I use carmex to heal a lot of things on animals.
Neosporins ok but when I get cut I Use carmex and it heals faster.

Last edited:
While Vaseline medicinal properties for treating frostbite, it will not prevent frostbite. I like to use sweet oil for treating frostbit and other injuries because it help with healing and it helps prevent infections and less scaring to. Now preventing frostbite you should keep the temperature above freezing and block out the wind. Wind-chill and freezing temperatures cause frostbite. P.S. Carmex works great to.

Chickengeorgeto please explain more

" Even if the damage is only surface deep the part of the comb that is dead will fall off leaving the chicken weakened and adversely affect a rooster's fertility and the egg laying potential of hens.".

Won't that have the same effect if the comb or waddle is cut off?

"If I was worried about frost bite I would dub or cut the combs off or back on all my chickens, thus lessening or removing the likely hood of frost bitten combs all together"

If only the surface of the comb or a few of the lobs is frozen or killed (as in turned black) then as the comb heals (a long process) those parts (The black parts) will slowly slough or fall off. In fact, if there is insufficient blood flow and the weather is cold enough the whole comb may be lost.

No it will not have the same effect.
In many commercial hatching egg flocks (white leghorns are one) all roosters have their combs cut off as youngsters because the comb interferes with the roosters' ability to eat from a poultry feed trough or feeder. The hatcheries still maintain a 90 + percent hatching rate from their comb less roosters. What I am discussing here is being proactive and protecting your flock from frostbite. I am not telling you how to bar and lock the barn door after the horse has escaped. An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure.

It is not the fact that the rooster is comb less that affects his fertility, it is the fact that he is involved with a long and difficult healing process involving his body rejecting dead or necrotic tissue.

I a

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom