Frostbitten feet and other stuff

Bronson

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2014
Chicagoland
Hi everyone, my name is Ed and I am a 10 month old polish rooster. I had some questions I wanted to ask about my feet because my human is still pretty worried about them. A few months ago in January, I had a disagreement with one of the other roosters I lived with, Paulie, and I ended up sleeping outside on the roost. It snowed that night, and my feet got really cold and wet and I ended up with frostbite on my toes. They look a lot better then my human expected at this point, but even though the toes are pretty bad, they haven't fallen off yet. She put some pictures at the bottom for you too look at. Please excuse my disheveled appearance, she took them right after my bath. I got mites really bad over the winter and we have been battling them for the past few months. There weren't any left in the sink, or dead ones on my feathers after my blow dry tonight. They may finally be under control.

I am feeling a lot better then I have in a long time. My human said I had something called anemia because the mites were so bad. She is still really concerned about my weight though. I lost a lot from the winter being so cold, my feet, and the mites. My flock didn't like the mites much and wouldn't let me roost by them, so I was cold a lot. I have put on a little weight, but she is still not happy with it. The problem is, I do not like a lot of things, she says I am picky. I like yogurt, but not if there is "stuff" in it, like berries, I don't like them in my yogurt. I love pancakes, but not if it has burned parts, that's yucky. I like meal worms and crickets, but my girls like them more, and because I am a really nice guy, I always let them eat them. Do you guys know of any treats I might like to eat that would help with my weight? My human thinks that since winter is over, and there is more stuff to eat in the yard now that I will find more stuff to eat out there,but I know she is still worried. I'm glad I live with her, because I don't think some people would have givin me much of a chance because I have so many problems and I look silly. I'm a really sweet and easy going kind of guy. She calls me Ferdinand the bull for some reason, which is silly because I am a rooster. I let my hens pull my feathers out and eat all my share of the treats. It's ok, I love my girls anyways even when they are mean to me. I still dance for them and am always looking for hawks and stuff when we are out in the yard. I think that why I am my humans favorite, because I take really good care of my girls, and am such a sweet guy. If anyone has any words of wisdom to ease her mind I'm sure she would love to hear it.

I would give him some scrambled egg daily for some extra protein, and I would avoid extra treats besides his feed. A very yummy mixture of buttermilk on his feed with bits of egg would probably give him the healthy protein and probiotics. I would put him in a cage while he gets that, so he won't share it. Her toenails will fall off, but I'm sure they are very painful still. Epsom salts warm soaks to his feet daily may help, and applying betadine afterward may help prevent infection.

Back
Top Bottom