Frosty is Sick

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
The last bird that I had that got sick (last year) we treated, but she didn't make it.

I thought blackhead was something I only had to worry about if I had chickens, but I forgot that also earthworms can be an issue.

A few days ago I found a grub under some wood and Frosty ate it so that could have made him sick. Also, everyone steps all over Frosty's train getting it dirty and recently someone pooped on his back so he is just filthy. I was wondering if this could have made him sick too?

I was thinking about this other topic when I finally decided today that I think he is sick:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...pea-suddenly-watery-white-stool-not-energetic

I watched him until he pooped and it was just white, but it did have a faint yellow tint. Now I am really worried...If Frosty has it will they all get it? I was going to worm the peafowl starting yesterday anyways, so it was good to read on the other topic that the blackhead medicine can be given with the safeguard. I feel so stupid for not keeping this kind of medicine on hand. I hope I caught this soon enough. I really like Frosty he is the only white peacock I have.

Questions time:
Quote from Cathy from other topic : I forgot what I read about the metronidazole, can I get it at a pet store or feed store? I think I remember you or someone saying the fish zole can be found at the pet store.

I am also going to see the local vet and see if he can be of any help.

I feel stupid for not being ready for something like this...My dad was just telling me when he had hunting dogs he was always stocked up with meds for them and that I should have been doing that.
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

-------------
Anyways the symptoms are:

- liquid poop with tint of yellow
- Lowered wings
- Only eating lettuce or grass and even then sometimes he would just peck at food but not eat it. He wasn't eating as crazy fast like he is known for doing.
- Standing off alone doing nothing.
- Getting really close to me and letting me get really close. Normally all of my birds get close, but Frosty has been really getting in my way when normally he would be moving out of the way. The other day he came over and lay behind me when I was sitting down. I thought he was just being friendly. I guess he was trying to tell me that he is sick.

I hope I am catching this early enough.

Zazouse found that Petsmart has something with 250mg metronidazole and 75mg praziquantil, it's called API General Cure and looks like this:

These work, too, but you would have to order them.

-Kathy

Your local vet will be able to sell you metronidazole or give you a prescription to have filled at a pharmacy, but metronidazole is used to treat giardia in cats and dogs, so they should have it.

-Kathy

Blackhead can also be spread by wild birds who land and eat your pea's food. If your other bird pooped on him and it made him sick then wouldn't that bird be sick as well? What meds do you have on hand? Call your local aquariums and ask if they sell 250mg Fish zole tablets, the one that says yes go get it from

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I will be going to the vet tomorrow and get advise and possibly some of the medicine because even if Frosty doesn't have blackhead, I definitely need this stuff.

The peafowl stuff I have on hand is Wazine and Safeguard. I also have lots of needleless syringes for squirting medicine down the birds or for measuring out medicine to mix into the water.

Thanks everyone, I will be going to the vet tomorrow and get advise and possibly some of the medicine because even if Frosty doesn't have blackhead, I definitely need this stuff.

The peafowl stuff I have on hand is Wazine and Safeguard. I also have lots of needleless syringes for squirting medicine down the birds or for measuring out medicine to mix into the water.
FYI, metronidazole (Flagyl) should be about $1 per pill from a pharmacy. Please talk to your vet about also treating for a secondary infection like e. Coli. If it's just the early stages of blackhead, you'll probably be okay and will see improvement by the third day of treatment.

-Kathy

Another thing... peafowl have two types of poops, regular poop and cecal poop. Watch him like a hawk and see if you can spot a cecal poop, that might give more clues.

-Kathy

Another thing... peafowl have two types of poops, regular poop and cecal poop. Watch him like a hawk and see if you can spot a cecal poop, that might give more clues.

-Kathy
OK, You got me I have to ask what is considered regular poop and what is considered cecal poop? I never heard this one before
th.gif

Regular poops are the smaller, lighter colored ones with the white caps, cecal poop are the huge, dark, slimy, stinky ones that they only do a few times a day. Of course there is some variation in color and consistency depending on their health and diet...

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom