Frozen Chickens with frozen feet...what can I do? HELP!

HB&B

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Woodlawn, TN
So heres the deal. I had 19 chickens and the temp has dropped to the teens here in TN! I dont have a great insulated coop. I went out for feeding and watering this AM and I am missing 5 chickens...My Roo died, my Jr. Roo 11 weeks died, 1 bantam hen died and 2 of the bantam hens are "missing". I have put a household heater in the shed for them (dont have extension to get all the way to the coop). And I plan on gettin a heat lamp for their coop today. a few of the chickens have frozen feet. I'm sure they have frost bite. Will they warm them up themselves? I brought in one bantam hen who seems to not be doing so well...I may be bringing in more soon. Just need help! Thx in advance.

hugs.gif
sooo sorry ! i cannot give any advise but i hope it works out .

First off, get them a roost that is a 2x4- you want it wide side up so they can sit flat on their feet and cover their feet with their bodies to keep them warm.

For those you think are injured now, get them in the house so you can assess. Once they're warm and you've decided they can heal outside, if you need to, wrap their feet lightly with vet wrap. Get some straw or hay or shavings or old blankets or SOMETHING on the ground where they are hanging out- they need some relief from the cold. Be careful of fire hazards- there is a lot you can do so they can help themselves. Make sure they have deep bedding in their coop or shed. Make the opening only as big as they need to go in and out so they can conserve any body heat inside the building. I cover the big door with plastic, leaving only a small rectangle cut in it for them to come and go. This stops drafts, too.

Here are more hints:

The cold and your chickens

walmart has extension cords and heat lamps.i would go get some now.i spent the day yesterday putting up tarps just to block the wind.the ones with frozen feet...i hope they do o.k..

hugs.gif

My chickens sleep outside,inside,in trees even though they have a roosting area and it get's into the teens sometimes and the worst i ever had happen was a few with frost bit combs so i never had to deal with such a thing.
Was there a sever wind going on during the freeze?

Our temp down to 25 degrees last night,some had frost on their back but all are ok.

I hope someone else can help here, i know it hurts when you babies go threw this.

Sorry for your losses
hit.gif

Yes the wind was really bad! I am gonna put plastic around their coop today and hopefully that will help. I am getting heat lamp and cords TODAY! My bantams feet have thawed out, but she is sluggish. I have brought in my 3 leghorns all of their feet seem frozen. Well good news is i only have 1 roo. I had planned on culling the other 2 the younger one when he got older, but looks like I wont have to do that! My Fav roo Cluck Norris seems to be ok. my Giant Cochins are loving the snow and the rest are running from me so I believe they are all gonna be ok. I just hope my leghorns do ok. They are my best layers! And so sweet too. Thanks for all the advice guys. You are all lifesavers! LITERALLY!

I agree with chookschick...really pile on the bedding and make sure roosts are wide enough. Is your coop drafty?? If so, get some cheap tarps and wrap that sucker up, leaving only neccessary ventilation up high above their heads and only an opening big enough for chickens to get through for them to come and go. You can stack straw bales or something around the pop door for a windbreak too.
If you do end up getting a heat lamp, be sure that it has a guard, use a smaller bulb than what the housing is rated for, and make sure it's wired very securely in place with lots of clearance (18-24 inches) between it and anything flamable, including your birds' feathers. But I'm betting by shoring up your coop better, that will make the difference by itself.
Sorry about your birds
sad.png

our temp was in the teens last night and our chickens are fine. we still have about an inch of snow on the ground and even our young pullets and cockerels are out in it. i think your coops are too airtight which builds up moisture and causes freezing.

Quote:
Excellent advice. Also if you're going to get an extension cord make sure it is one designed for outside use--14 wire is best. 16 at a minimum. Without knowing your setup it is hard to determine why your birds suffered at those temperatures but I suspect exposure more than the cold. Mine were down to near zero last night and some almost ran me over trying to get outside this morning to get at the kitchen scraps but they're all heavy breeds in an enclosed coop that is well ventilated with 6/8 inches of pine shavings and wide roosts.

We have -25 temps today. The coop thermometer says 25F. Waterers were frozen. I am concerned about humidity being a problem in there, even though we have ventilation and a 3 inch exhaust fan running 30 min of every hour.

Everyone seems ok except one buckeye girl whose feet are cold but flexible (so not frozen?) and she is sluggish.

Back
Top Bottom