Frozen chickens?

- Vaseline on chickens in Quebec = the combs are sure to get frostbitten. The salve adds moisture to the skin instead of protecting it, so covering the single combs of my birds with it during particularly cold nights is a very bad idea. If there is a way to protect single combs with Vaseline without icing them over, I have not found it.

Additionally, as a petroleum product, Vaseline can be irritating to the skin for long-term use.

I'm one of those odd people who love watching medical videos on YouTube and I've often seen doctors having to treat a secondary skin problem around an infected wound that was caused by the petroleum jelly that is part of the antibiotic ointment the patient was using.

Last edited:
I decided to put a heating pad out for mine - one of them (hard molt like yours) is an odd-lady-out and the other girls don't let her perch with them so I got the heating pad to put underneath her perch. I feel good about it. I don't have to wonder. It is a low setting so it isn't like I am getting my hen used to tropical temps, but once her molt is over and she is feathered out, it will be a gradual acclimation back. I like the idea of giving her a bit of comfort that is subtle and then gradually goes away as her feathers come in

Because it doesn't prevent frostbite.
Have a link to a post where someone actually tried some with V and some without, they all got nipped....I'll have to look for it.
Best to leave hands off, before and after frostbite.
Wow! I never knew that. It usually doesn’t go below 10 degrees Fahrenheit here. Won’t be doing that again. (I only did it once)

Back
Top Bottom