Frozen combs....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yukonchick, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

My poor chickens got frozen combs. I rushed in and insulated the coop quickly and put a heater in there to warm it up. one hen i had to bring her in the house and give her a warm bath and hot blowdry cause she had a big ball of ice poo stuck to her rear. Poor thing was so uncomfortable. She sure loved that warm bath though and blowdry. I think they'll all be fine now. My one rooster got the worst as far as a frostbit comb.[​IMG] Record cold tempertures up here in the Yukon this year.

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    What I do when Its anything below 20 degrees- put petroleum jelly (like vaseline) on their combs- this keeps them from getting frost bite! Do this after they are up to roost, it makes it a whole lot easier. After a few times, they'll get used to it. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

oh, thats a good idea. Wish i would have known that before. My rooster are big and pretty hard to get ahold of though.

4. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Wait til they've settled in for the night and go in while they're sleeping. I use a flash light with a red bulb in it, they hardly even notice I'm there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by