Frozen eggbound bottom ! Not for weak stomaches.

NoSleep4mommy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Kentucky
Hi, So the other day I was checking on one of our Wyandotte hens...some of which are just starting to lay and I saw a horrible frozen "but-sicle" from ones back side. ewwww It looked like egg and poop all frozen to her bottom. I also found a broken egg on the ground and a couple in the nest box (frozen of course) which would explain her heine condition. So, I got all bundled up...since it was the coldest day of the year so far (about 10) and brought her in for examination. After having to cut the frozen "glue" from her backside because warm water wasn't melting it away, I tried to leave feathers to protect her, I was able to see her horrible condition.

It looks like a membrane didn't break all the way, and an egg got cought. She finally passed it and a couple of other pullet eggs, but not after getting an infection making her very protruded back there. I have never seen anything like it! There is also a white crusty tissue around the outside, and I managed to clean it up enough for her to have bowel movements. She drips liquids and has skinny little poops, probably due to the swelling. I don't know if she has any eggs in there or not.

I called the vet and he said to have chicken for dinner. I am not totally opposed to that, but it is 10 degrees outside...and not to sound heartless, but no one wants to dress a chicken in that weather or in the house
smile.png
Also, if she does have an infection, I am not sure that I would want to eat the meat anyway. Plus my son loves her
smile.png
She also behaves perfectly fine otherwise.

I am afraid to put her out with the flock, because although there is a heatlamp in the coop, she froze up once before and is still dripping back there. She seems otherwise healthy, not droopy or anything, and is eating and drinking and coos at me when I peak in the bathroom (her current abode). A diaper might freeze too, plus I would have to catch her again in tonights expected ice storm.

If you have experience with this, please drop me an email. I would much appreciate it. Heading to tractor supply now to see if I can spray something back there, since the vets all think I am a lunatic. No eggs from her since I have had her in the house.

Thanks in advance for your advice, Anne in Louisville

i don't have any advice for the poor chicken but i am sure someone else will.
i do think you need to find another vet.the hypocratic oath says"ALL ANIMALS"not just cute furry ones.sorry but he could have given you some better advice . the folks on here will be more helpful to you than the vet was.

I think I would keep her inside and see if things change. Maybe put her on a round of antibiotics as a preventative and just wait. When and if she stops eating or becomes lethargic and is not interested in life , then you need to cull her. It's the best I can offer. Hope she comes around and your girl gets to go outside to play with her friends
wink.png

I'd set her up inside and keep an eye on her. It might be fun for your boy to have his favorite hen in the house for a while too.

She is trying hard. Wyandottes are so quiet and docile anyway, it is hard to tell if she is mad or anything
smile.png
i was at Tractor Supply and the man there asked if the egg could have frozen to her bottom....horrified as i was, i thought...it does actually look like frostbite on the end of her little egg-laying bottom
hit.gif
It is white and hard. It looks really irritated and swolen too. I have a 250 Watt heat lamp on thermostat in a little mobile coop...I thought it would be too hot for them...but the nest boxes protrude from the structure...which would make them colder than the rest of the coop. We were in the single digits the other night. I think the nest boxes are coming off and I am putting internal boxes inside once we get a warm enough day. i can't do all that construction by myself with a bad back. Anyone know of an insulating blanket for outdoors or something I can pin over the next boxes for the ice storm that we are supposed to have over the next couple of days? I was thinking of those shiny ones people keep in their cars? Any better ideas that don't require construction that I can implement in a snap? ....unless she was already having trouble with it and sat down outside in the cold snow to try to lay...that is a possibility, in which case I am totally overreacting by taking out the nestboxes in a huff. None of the eggs have appeared frozen until the other night. Maybe a weird low microclimate dip or something? The Thermostat is supposed to kick on the light at 38, it hasn't tripped or anything. I really thought they would be warm enough in their little house. i guess it needs more insulation.
he.gif

I picked up some powdered antibiotics that say 400-800 mg per gallon of water. I am still figuring out how to mix it, as of course I didn't get a 400 mg conversion chart yet today
idunno.gif
I gave up on the antiobiotic cream and bag balm (too hard to apply to a feathered bottom) and picked up some spray...purple but much easier. The worst part is that it is "seeping"...and now that she has taken up residence in my bathroom...
D.gif
Well, you get the idea. If she has an egg brewing in there, I am not sure what to do about that. Can't afford a bunch of vet bills for this, unfortunately.

If anyone has advice for measuring the antibiotic powder into water, I would appreciate it also.

Thanks so much guys, Anne

The white crusty stuff sounds like vent gleet. I would not give antibiotics in case that is the case. Look it up and people on here have great advice on how to treat it. Poor girl.

I looked at pics of vent gleet and I don't think that is what it is. I wish it was...it might be more treatable.
Thanks so much, Anne

Have you trimmed the feathers around the wound real good? it will be alot easier to treat her if you do. you must have gotten bluekote, be careful it stains really bad on what ever it gets on. course if you've already used it you probably know that. I wonder if you could soak her in some warm salt water? salt water is real good for healing.

Could be prolapse:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=418716
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=404726
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=416713 (treatment can sometimes be successful)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388579&p=1

Regardless, cut away feathers (not so close as to make them bleed) around affected area. Keep her in a warm area with low light (suppress egg laying/keeps them calm) even a box with soft bedding and a towel over the top will do. Please post up exact med info. (just brand name and product number). The treatments mentioned in above threads should be of use. A clear photo of affected area would also be helpful.

Cheap 4'x8' plastic tarps can be left folded in half and nailed up and edges duct taped on/around exposed areas/nest boxes - won't insulate but will nix draftiness/precip.

Back
Top Bottom