Frozen eggs - are they ruined?

fmernyer

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
CT
I had an abundance of eggs this summer so I froze them. I'm not really sure what I was thinking because I've read plenty of threads about scrambling them a bit and throwing in a pinch of salt - but I saw a post where she froze them with the yolk intact so that's what I did.

Defrosting them - the yolk is really hard and sludgy - almost like it was medium boiled.

Did I ruin these eggs? Can I use them for anything at all besides feeding back to my chickens??

You can use them for eating. If my eggs freeze in the nest, I keep them frozen until I want to use them and then thaw slowly just before cooking. They're entirely edible.

Thanks! When you defrost them - are the yolks weird? Mine never really get runny after freezing them - they're just kind of - gelled? Are there things that your previously frozen eggs work best in? Things that they totally do NOT work in?

My wife and I can't recall anything different. There are ice crystals that form in the yolk and albumen but when thaw, they should be good for cooking or baking.

Back
Top Bottom