Frozen eggs

Gwen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Langley, Washington
We are experiencing freezing temps and snow, not a norm for us. Some eggs I’m able to gather while still warm. Others are freezing cold and I assume frozen through. I’ve been tossing those but is there another use for frozen eggs? Or someway to “test” to see if they’re really frozen?

We actually just had an issue with our fridge freezing all of our eggs because they were in the back of the fridge.

I move them to a different location and they were no longer frozen, we used them for cooking and they cooked just the same. No one had any complaints about them and they said they didn't even notice a difference.

Usually if I have frozen eggs from outside I will scramble them for the dogs or for the chickens.

I'm not sure how you would test if they were frozen, but I assume you could take a flashlight and candle the egg to see if there is movement inside of the egg from the yolk. If there is no movement, the egg would be frozen.

If an egg is frozen through, it will have a crack in it because when water freezes, it expands. I don't know of any good uses for frozen eggs and I usually just throw them out because they are cracked

Or someway to “test” to see if they’re really frozen?
Supposedly if you spin them you can tell frozen(or hard boiled) from not,
but have never been able to get that to work.
You can candle to look for cracks, but just because it is cold doesn't mean it is frozen.
It's fine to use even a cracked frozen egg(once thawed of course) unless it's filthy dirty,
then I don't use them but cook to feed back to the birds.
I am lucky to be able to gather frequently during those really cold days.

Bitter cold here. Single digits. I try to gather eggs often, but I always find frozen eggs. Shells cracked. If not dirty, I let them thaw and use them. Haven't seen a difference fried or scrambled.

Some eggs I’m able to gather while still warm. Others are freezing cold and I assume frozen through.
Frozen eggs crack. 20180202_120528.jpg 20180202_120501.jpg . Second pic is candled. If membrane is intact, (not leaking), and egg is not poopy, I thaw, wash and eat first.
If leaking albumen, I feed to chickens or toss.
Check eggs immediately, before they warm up. Cracks are more visible when frozen. 20190121_094847.jpg . 5 minutes later at room temperature, cracks disappear. 20190121_100323.jpg . They can still be seen when candled. I never sell cracked eggs. GC

I had some last week that there was just no way possible they weren’t frozen. Temp was in the teens at night and not over 32 in the daytime. I made sure the girls had food and water but I was running away from the cold so I didn’t gather eggs. After I did bring them, they sat on the counter for several days while I was trying to figure out what to do. Just now I cracked them all open. They seemed perfectly normal. Just an observation. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom