Frozen Eggs

chickeylady

Chirping
Oct 21, 2020
I am in Texas and this week has been FRIDGED! All of today's eggs were in the boxes in the hay. None are cracked like they might be frozen. I usually sell within a couple of days so I just leave them out on my kitchen counter. If they are frozen will they crack when they thaw? Is there a way to tell if they are frozen besides cracking them open? Please help my first winter!

If you sell them for eating, they're fine.

Obviously they're unlikely to hatch anything if incubated, though I have a friend who swears Isbars can hatch from frozen eggs. Experiment with that if you have incubator space to waste... But please don't sell them as "fertile".

If you sell them for eating, they're fine.

Obviously they're unlikely to hatch anything if incubated, though I have a friend who swears Isbars can hatch from frozen eggs. Experiment with that if you have incubator space to waste... But please don't sell them as "fertile".
I actually don't have any breeds that sit. I just don't want to sell bad eggs

If they are frozen will they crack when they thaw?
No. They crack when fully frozen.

Is there a way to tell if they are frozen besides cracking them open?
Not really.

Just tell them that they may have frozen which might lead to funky yolks if cooking over-easy or poached. Scrambled or use in recipes should be just fine.

Best thing to do is gather as frequently as possible when temps are below freezing.

I do not think that I would sell eggs that might have been frozen because of possible low-quality issues. I wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression about my eggs.

*Maybe* I would offer them honestly-labeled at a discount, but I think that I would probably rather reserve frozen or possibly frozen eggs for household use and sell only the best. :)

I'm in Ohio and a lazy farmer so we get our eggs once a day. That means occasionally I'll have cracked shells but I just toss them for the dogs when that happens. I am sure I have had partially frozen eggs before and ate them and didn't notice any difference in consistency or anything. As long as you're selling them for consumption, they're fine. Just don't sell them for hatching as frozen eggs will greatly reduce hatch rates, if any hatch at all

I'm in Ohio and a lazy farmer so we get our eggs once a day. That means occasionally I'll have cracked shells but I just toss them for the dogs when that happens. I am sure I have had partially frozen eggs before and ate them and didn't notice any difference in consistency or anything. As long as you're selling them for consumption, they're fine. Just don't sell them for hatching as frozen eggs will greatly reduce hatch rates, if any hatch at all

As a customer, if I were paying a premium price for fresh, farm eggs I would be highly upset if I were sold eggs that had been treated less well than standard commercial farm eggs instead of better.

A person could completely ruin their reputation with just a few dozen inferior-quality eggs sold as if they were the normal top-quality.

I am in Texas and this week has been FRIDGED! All of today's eggs were in the boxes in the hay. None are cracked like they might be frozen. I usually sell within a couple of days so I just leave them out on my kitchen counter. If they are frozen will they crack when they thaw? Is there a way to tell if they are frozen besides cracking them open? Please help my first winter!
Looking for cracked eggs just run them under hot water the cracks show up easy.

Back
Top Bottom