Frozen Eggs

I just always lean toward the better safe than sorry camp. Lately I've putting all of mine on the counter even though temps have been around 30-40 inside the coop, but I eat them within two days. If I were going to sell them, straight to the fridge. Really any egg gathered under any condition intended to be sold, I put straight into the fridge for max shelf life since few folks understand fresh eggs can be kept on the counter for a week or two.
Some people wouldn't eat my eggs if I hinted that they were fertile...
Some won't eat fresh eggs and only eat eggs that they buy at the grocery store.
I don't trust people like that, therefore I keep to myself what my eggs go through before they get to me (and them, unless of course they specifically ask, in which case they get a science lesson too!)

What do you consider a premium for eggs?

I can't quote specific prices because the farmers' markets have been closed due to COVID, but generally eggs at the farmers' markets have been double or triple the going rate for regular grocery store eggs -- with organic having a premium on top of that.

I will say that I'm in a wealthy area and work at a grocery store that serves a golf-course retirement community so I'm used to customers being EXTREMELY picky and always willing to complain about imperfections. :)

Some people wouldn't eat my eggs if I hinted that they were fertile...
Some won't eat fresh eggs and only eat eggs that they buy at the grocery store.
I don't trust people like that, therefore I keep to myself what my eggs go through before they get to me (and them, unless of course they specifically ask, in which case they get a science lesson too!)
Yes I've met some of those people too. I don't like giving any of my home goods to people if I believe the food will go to waste, especially my eggs. I feel like each little egg is a gift to me from my girls (which is silly, I know).

Yes I've met some of those people too. I don't like giving any of my home goods to people if I believe the food will go to waste, especially my eggs. I feel like each little egg is a gift to me from my girls (which is silly, I know).
I agree, I feel guilty when one freezes and I toss it.

Not to get too off topic, but I'd consider feeding cooked, thawed, cracked frozen eggs back to the chickens. Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone? My quail eggs are frozen 90% of the time.

I agree, I feel guilty when one freezes and I toss it.

Not to get too off topic, but I'd consider feeding cooked, thawed, cracked frozen eggs back to the chickens. Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone? My quail eggs are frozen 90% of the time.
Nah people feed cooked eggs back to their flock all the time. I don’t think a cracked egg is any worse than the morsels they find digging among their own poop!

Screenshot_20210216-155830_Messages.jpg
This is a picture I received from one of my customers early this fall. The pullets were just starting to lay, and the hens were starting to molt, so it was a hodge podge of sized. Can't tell if there is a spot on one or if it's because she's frying them in bacon grease and it looks like one was a double yolk. She got a kick out of the random sizes. Said if you're really hungry, pick a big one. Not so hungry, pick a small one.

Normally, I would have sorted by size, and not sold the little ones, but she said she didn't care, she just wanted eggs, so I sold a 18 pack for the price of a 12. And got a beer out of the deal, so win-win. I don't think I would sell to picky people, but I still try to ensure quality when possible.

Ah, that explains your perception.

In part, but in addition I have always believed that the customers I serve -- regardless of whether I'm working in a wealthy community or a blue-collar community -- deserve the best I can give them under all circumstances.

I don't think I would sell to picky people, but I still try to ensure quality when possible.

Most people don't get to choose their customers.

As a general rule, it's the customer who gets to choose the seller -- which is why reputation is so critical in retail. :)

I love the picture of the fried eggs - such a wide assortment of sizes.
I haven't had eggs fried in bacon grease in forever! That is what I grew up with, loved the crispy , lacy edges of eggs fried in bacon grease.

I love the picture of the fried eggs - such a wide assortment of sizes.
I haven't had eggs fried in bacon grease in forever! That is what I grew up with, loved the crispy , lacy edges of eggs fried in bacon grease.
I know. People who use a non stick pan with I Can't Believe People Call This Butter to cook their eggs should be taken out back and beat with a cast iron pan.

Back
Top Bottom