Frozen Eggs

As a general rule, it's the customer who gets to choose the seller -- which is why reputation is so critical in retail. :)
I agree, but in my case, I can't keep up with demand.

I had an old battle axe show up one time wanting to buy tomatoes. I don't sell tomatoes. I quoted her a ridiculous price, like $4 a pound, since I really didn't want to sell any. The ones I had just picked were for salsa, which I will sell. She wrinkled her nose and said they're prettier at the store. Told her to go to the store. Don't show up uninvited, demand something, and then complain about it. Lucky for her I was in a good mood or I would have told her to pound sand.

LOL sorry if anyone heard me laugh out loud. I'm a "new" chicken pet and discovered 18 solid FROZEN eggs just last week in my coop. I swear that 2 were cracked and leaking yolk. However, I set them ALL in a bowl on the counter, came back a few hours later, and couldn't find a single crack! I KNOW that I saw one. I wondered if at least the one egg "healed" as it thawed. Regardless, there was NO difference in taste, consistency of any of their yolks or whites--I think it would be a shame to fret over loss of quality of a hard-working hen's egg that froze.

I'm sure some of the eggs I've collected this winter have frozen and several have visibly cracked and 'leaked'. When I suspect an egg has frozen, I just "candle it" - any hairline cracks or incomplete cracks show up really well.
If there is any sort of crack, that egg gets fed back to the chickens.
If no sign of cracking, it's fit for human consumption, but I keep it for my household.

I agree, I feel guilty when one freezes and I toss it.

Not to get too off topic, but I'd consider feeding cooked, thawed, cracked frozen eggs back to the chickens. Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone? My quail eggs are frozen 90% of the time.
All of my frozen cracked eggs I boil up and give back to my girls. Seems odd but they aren’t getting wasted and good for them....they turn out like a poached egg. And they love them!

My chickens only just started laying, and occasionally, one will lay an egg out in the run rather than in a nesting box. With temperatures down in the single digits, I have found several dirty, very cold eggs intact, but wouldn't think of selling them. Instead, I hard boil them and feed them back to my chickens, shells and all. I do the same with eggs that have been pecked or punctured. It's good protein for them in cold weather, and that way, they don't go to waste.

Back
Top Bottom