Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K-Chick, Dec 10, 2009.

1. K-Chick

K-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    NW In
    I go out to the coop today and I have 6 frozen and cracked eggs. Does that mean all of the eggs are frozen? And how would I know if they were frozen if they didn't crack? Would they still be good? The hens all seem fine, its 7 out today and I don't put heat in the coop. So whats your opinion?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd scramble them and give them to the dog (or the chickens) if they are cracked. If not cracked, I'm eating them.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Eggs can be pretty close to freezing and not be cracked -- I picked one up last night that wasn't cracked, but as soon as I picked it up it cracked in my hand! You can use the frozen and cracked ones if you use them right away -- the yolks may be somewhat solid (and this doesn't change during the cooking process, but they work fine for fried or scrambled eggs). Or cook them and feed them back to the chickens. It's been at least as cold here as where you are and I've had more frozen eggs the last few days than unfrozen, so the chickens are eating well!

Kathleen

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I got a few in question..I think they were frozen but not cracked yet! I also was blessed with a broody hen so if they lay in her nest box they are just fine by the time I get to them![​IMG]

5. Ken H

Ken H Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    I have the coop heated to 35 degrees F. using deep red heat lamps(2). So no frozen eggs and no drop in egg production so far.

6. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Found yesterdays eggs this morning right where I left them in the barn last night while feeding and blanketing the horses. The eggs were not cracked but i was pretty sure they were frozen.

I remembered that the way to tell if an egg is hard boiled is to spin it while it's on its side. Uncooked eggs won't do that because the insides are not solid. The frozen eggs spun around like hard boiled. After an hour or so on the counter I cracked a few and you couldn't tell that they were once frozen.

Hope this help people take the mystery out of are frozen or not.[​IMG]

7. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    If you are worried about the eggs being cracked but you are having a hard time seeing the actual crack, you can candle them and it will show any deformities in the shell.. Just something i learned when i was incubating.. [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by