Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by digger MN, Dec 13, 2010.

1. digger MN

digger MN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    How do you tell if eggs are frozen if they are not cracked???? It was -15 this morning and windchill of 25 to 30 below. Chickens are fine with no heat yet. Don't no if putting a heat lamp in there is worth trying just for the eggs. I want then to adjust to the cold not heat them. Thanks for any info.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    If you are planning to eat them or cook them, they will be just fine to use as long as they are not cracked. Collect them as often as you can during the day and make sure that there is lots of hay in their laying boxes. Hope that's what you needed to know. Nancy

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ditto. I too am on the Minnesota tundra [​IMG] (sure feels like it this week). I have had frozen eggs, but as long as they don't split open on you, they are good to eat. Just put them in the fridge a day or so and they adjust to frig temp and actually thaw out. Even if they are icy when you crack them to use, they are fine.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Last winter, if I had frozen, cracked eggs, I took them in, immediately rinsed in hot tap water, and cracked them out. The whole frozen egg would pop right out. I would then either bag and freeze for later use in baking, or just put them in the fridge to thaw and use when thawed.

I guess in theory they could have bacteria in there due to being cracked, but since I used or froze right away, and always used them fully cooked, generally as an ingredient in something like a cake, muffins, or even quiche, it wasn't an issue to my knowledge in terms of food safety. Now, I wouldn't want to eat these in some raw treatment like eggnog.

5. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    It was 19 degrees here in PA this morning. My eggs were frozen but not cracked. Put em in thr fridge and they're just fine.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Or, feed them to the dog. It's hilarious to watch them try to eat eggscicles!

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I had a bunch of frozzen eggs yesterday. I threw them out in the woods and they BOUNCED!

8. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    About a third of my eggs were frozen & cracked yesterday. I thawed one of them and fed it to my newly reformed egg stealing dog. The rest got peeled, bagged and put in the freezer.

9. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:You might be careful that you aren't calling critters to your place for a free meal.

I bring in my frozen eggs to slowly thaw in the basket then put in the fridge.

10. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    I had 3 frozen eggs this moring. You can tell by spinning them on the counter. If they spin fast they're frozen. If they spin slow they're still thawed. I put my frozen eggs in the fridge. After a few hours you'd never know the difference. If they are cracked I pitch them. I have a heat lamp but it doesnt seem to help the eggs much. The girls like it but it's just too cold to keep the eggs from freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by