Frozen Eggs

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I know someone asked this a while ago, but I didn't get a chance to read any answers. Is it OK to eat frozen eggs if they are intact and the shell is not cracked ( I mean I guess they're frozen, I can't really tell) seems like they would be.

It's been my experience that a egg is frozen if it is cracked. In my opinion that's how you know. We collect eggs often, however in extreme weather conditions we may find a frozen one. this winter has been brutal and with 10 eggs daily average, we only had 2 cracked ones. I think yours are cold not frozen.

bigzio

They are find to eat as long as they are not leaking when they thaw. The shell can be cracked but if they membranes leak then bacteria could have gotten in. Most of the time the cracks are very fine when the membranes are intact, if the crack is wide it generally will have a leak.

We try not to let that happen but if/when it does we eat those eggs straightaway and do not store/sell them.

smile.png

How cold is too cold if you want to hatch the eggs? I mean, if you receive eggs (en route via Post Office) and it's taken 4-5 days to get to you, temps outside in single digits, but no evidence of cracking on any shells (or that they were left in frigid temps while en route), is it OK to assume the eggs are still good for hatching?

Back
Top Bottom