Frozen eggs!!!

My little girl is smart. She waits for the beagle to come out of the house in the mornings for his stretch and jumps in the dog house to lay her egg. I have an owl problem and have lost my other 3 hens in the last month.

A frozen egg feels really cold and solid. It "feels" different than the others.Sometimes, the whites expand, crack the shell and push out like a cracked egg in boiling water.

Is it ok to feed eggs back to the chickens, I don't want them to learn to eat eggs

Yes, you can feed the eggs back to the chickens, matter of fact when you use the eggs in your home save the shells, crush and add to any scraps you feed your hens. The deal is; you need to not let them see it as an egg, or they will start to eat their own eggs. You can open, mix with other foods and crush the shells into the mix. Won't hurt your hens in any way, just be careful not to teach them any bad habits.

How do you know if the egg is frozen?
Do the old spin method.

To understand the difference just take a hardboiled egg and spin it on the counter. A frozen egg should spin just like that.

Now to understand the difference take a fresh egg and try to spin it on the counter. You should notice an immediate difference that is very noticeable.

Do the old spin method.

To understand the difference just take a hardboiled egg and spin it on the counter. A frozen egg should spin just like that.

Now to understand the difference take a fresh egg and try to spin it on the counter. You should notice an immediate difference that is very noticeable.
Okay I'll try that thanks!

How cold is it where you are and the conditions, Last night I left out six eggs in a nest my hens use
and the temp got down to 21 F last night or this is what it was this morning at 6:30 when I went out
to let all the animals out for the day... The egg's were under some tumble weeds in a hole the hens
use as a nest just sand no straw and no hen set on them during the night but the ground hasn't any
ice or water in it as we live in Death Valley California, now my question is how are your conditions
that you get frozen eggs ?????
Now when I was in Korea the farmers said the eggs would freeze but even the air froze over there..

gander007

Just make sure you crack them open and DO NOT feed them the shell. Some say you have to cook them, but I have found chickens love eggs and they have everything in their to make a chick, so it has got to be good for them.

Back
Top Bottom