FROZEN EGGS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchicks, Oct 2, 2008.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    This maybe a silly queestion, but are the eggs no good if they freeze? Can you eat them right away if they do freeze? Or should they just be tossed? Thanks.[​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    hmmm, I want to say they would be fine to eat... But I was also wondering the same thing with winter comming im sure we will get frozen eggs... Sure someone knows !!!!!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

During the winter I try and gather them 2 or 3 times a day, but that doesn't always work. If they're so frozen that they're cracked I feed them to the barn cats. If they aren't cracked I use them, but I don't sell those.

4. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Cracked or not cracked, good advice, what about boiling them for the hens?[​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can freeze eggs and save them for the deep winter months when your hens will stop laying. Crack them into a muffin cup pan, freeze, then remove to a ziplock bag.

If the egg froze in your refrigerator and cracked the shell you can eat it.

Frozen eggs are best for cooking with and not eating plain as in fried or scrambled eggs because the freezing changes their texture too much for me.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, you can boil them for your hens.

7. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Great ideas everyone, thank you. I'm glad to know they won't go to waste if I can't get out there to collect twice a day. I only have 2 hens, so my eggs are precious. Do you think I may need to get some more laying hens???[​IMG]

8. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    LOL! You're asking us? You know what the answer will be....of course you need more hens! At least a dozen more. [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can you still use frozen eggs to cook with?lol

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can freeze them yourself and keep them on hand for those deep winter periods when you are eggless and NEED them the most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by