Frozen water bowls

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Redgolden1, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Redgolden1

Redgolden1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    It was 16 degrees this morning and I tool my small pry bar out to take the ice out of the bowls the ice was over an inch thick I busted 6 of them out and that took about 5 to ten min I was on my way past the first one that I did and it was frozen again that's no good ! Going to lowes tomorrow to buy supply's to build a light bulb heater that goes inside a a one hole cinder block a cord a surge protector and a plug in light socket also something thin and fire proof to go between the rubber bowl and cinder block I will let you know how I make out and what the cost is ! I would buy a base for 50 bucks but I need to many of them not feasible I'm told to use a 40 watt bulb

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Chris,
    I use 4 qt rubber bowls available at walmart for under 5.00 ea.If they freeze you just flip them over stomp on them and the ice falls out and they will not break and they don't seem to freeze as fast as the other type bowls.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Redgolden1

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    Hi tony yes that is where I get my bowls but it only took ten min before it froze over again I work 24 hour shifts twice a week and I want my birds to be able to drink when I'm not around ! So I'm going to make one tomorrow and see how it works and how much cost to make one . Won't need it all the time but would have been nice to have today

4. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I use the blue heated dog bowls from tractor supply

5. Redgolden1

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    Hello bandbaustin how much are those because I have a lot of them to heat ? I picked up the blocks the stake lights some slate floor tiles 40 watt bulbs a timer a surge protector for 12 of them for 120 bucks at lowes I already had the elec cords I'm putting them in in the morning will let you know how I make out

6. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    @Redgolden1 , would you be able to post some pictures of these once you've put them in your pheasant pens? Im interested to see what they look like.

7. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    x2

8. Redgolden1

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    Yes I am going to put them together in the morning ! I will take pics , I saw this idea on you tube and made some improvements the blocks are 8x8x8 at 1.26 each I found ceramic tiles for.63 cents lights were stake in metal for 5 bucks timer for ten bucks surge protector for ten bucks and 40 watt bulbs not sure the ceramic tile will keep water from getting in they are 12x12 inch the height of the stake and bulb is 7 inches with an 8 inch block

9. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I think I got mine on sale for $12 just have to watch, they are regularly $20 for the 5 quart one. They only turn on when it get s below freezing. I think I have 15 of them

10. Redgolden1

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    Yes 12 bucks is well worth it thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by