Frozen water in winter, what do you do?

lilmizscareall

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2013
Irvington, Indianapolis, IN
This is my first year with ducks and I'm looking for product suggestions.
I used a baby pool all summer and right now our temps are really dropping.
I'm ok bringing water out for them in the morning and if they need it a second time.
My concern is that this winter is going to be bad if not worse than last year.
It got so cold here, my heated watering system for the chickens froze. I had to bundle up myself with full face garb to bring them all into my basement. It was ugly. So very cold and I had chickens...in my basement...
The chickens did well, but I physically could not make it in and out of the house multiple times in that dangerous cold.
I'd like to buy a pond heater for the duck pool.
I am looking on amazon, but know nothing about wattage. They sell them staring at 250 watts up to 1500 watts. I don't want to melt the pool! Thoughts? What do you use?
My other dilemma is that right now their pool is filthy. I can't even dump or clean it out. I'm hoping for a warm enough day to do so, but we may not get another one. :/
This morning I had a 1 inch thick sheet of ice that I broke with my foot.
Again, everyone got fresh water, I just need another option in case it freezes while I'm at work or whatever.
Drinking dirty water is better than no water, right? Not that I want them doing that, but I want them safe.
Pictures are always welcome.

This is my first year with ducks and I'm looking for product suggestions.
I used a baby pool all summer and right now our temps are really dropping.
I'm ok bringing water out for them in the morning and if they need it a second time.
My concern is that this winter is going to be bad if not worse than last year.
It got so cold here, my heated watering system for the chickens froze. I had to bundle up myself with full face garb to bring them all into my basement. It was ugly. So very cold and I had chickens...in my basement...
The chickens did well, but I physically could not make it in and out of the house multiple times in that dangerous cold.
I'd like to buy a pond heater for the duck pool.
I am looking on amazon, but know nothing about wattage. They sell them staring at 250 watts up to 1500 watts. I don't want to melt the pool! Thoughts? What do you use?
My other dilemma is that right now their pool is filthy. I can't even dump or clean it out. I'm hoping for a warm enough day to do so, but we may not get another one.
hmm.png

This morning I had a 1 inch thick sheet of ice that I broke with my foot.
Again, everyone got fresh water, I just need another option in case it freezes while I'm at work or whatever.
Drinking dirty water is better than no water, right? Not that I want them doing that, but I want them safe.
Pictures are always welcome.
I'd get heated buckets they are awesome I use 2.5 gal for my ducks and 5 gal for my geese. i put a piece of scap wood over half with a rock on top to keep them from using the buckets ads their personal hot tubs, but TSC carries them and they are wonderful. As for the pool once winter and below temps set in here i dump the pool and only when temps get about 38 do I give them bath water, then they get cement mixing tubs much easier to dump at days end when the temps are going to plummet I don't know about using a pond heater it would have to be something they couldn't chew on or get burned on.

We use heated dog bowls plus a larger tub set up underneath a heat lamp. The dog bowl cords are protected from chewing. The only bad thing is the ducks and geese like to bath in them.

We use heated dog bowls plus a larger tub set up underneath a heat lamp. The dog bowl cords are protected from chewing. The only bad thing is the ducks and geese like to bath in them.
That's why I cover half top of mine with piece of board with a rick over top to keep them from climbing inside. They think they are hot tubs other wise.

200x200px-ZC-d2af6ce3_024.jpeg

Last edited:
Thats a great idea. I assume chickens will adapt and figure out how to drink out of them. I will have to get some heated pails this weekend at Princess Auto.

Thats a great idea. I assume chickens will adapt and figure out how to drink out of them. I will have to get some heated pails this weekend at Princess Auto.
My chickens do fine with them I had to stack some wood for stairs for my bantams but they use them and drink out of the buckets with no problem. Believe me they are worth it and use a thermostat so only come on when temps go below 35* I did invest in 12 gauge extensions to use with them, since they don't recc you use extension cords but you do what you have to and so far after 4 yrs of using haven't had any problems .

In my opinion.... a bucket with a heater in it, and horizontal nipples is a very good combination.... The nipples won't freeze as the seal is inside the bucket where the heat is located.... At 13 degrees mine have not frozen....

...Heater...

Last edited:
In my opinion.... a bucket with a heater in it, and horizontal nipples is a very good combination.... The nipples won't freeze as the seal is inside the bucket where the heat is located.... At 13 degrees mine have not frozen....

I can see where that would be ideal for chicks and chickens but not ducks since they have to keep their eyes and nares cleaned out often.

I can see where that would be ideal for chicks and chickens but not ducks since they have to keep their eyes and nares cleaned out often.

Miss Lydia, morning..... Below is the post I had "quoted"... I was responding to "chickens drinking"..... Read post #8....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom