Frozen water in winter, what do you do?

Miss Lydia, morning..... Below is the post I had "quoted"... I was responding to "chickens drinking"..... Read post #8....
Oops sorry Dave. Funny you mentioned this because i have the bucket with the nipples on it and could never get my chickens to use it, I guess they are just so use to buckets year round they have adapted to them. So I have my bucket with nipples up in the attic.

I have no experience with the nipples at all. I assume that would help some of our chickens who have large combs and wattles stay dry and hopefully not get frostbite. Most of our chickens have small combs and wattles but we do have 4 FBCM. It had been cold here already this winter.

It took about 4 hours for all my chickens to figure out the nipples had water.... I tripped the nipple with my Lavender Orp. watching... She drank.... the others watched... FINALLY they all figured it out.... I know chickens are smart, some are a little apprehensive and S L O W.....

That is their only water now.... Amazing what they want to learn...

It took about 4 hours for all my chickens to figure out the nipples had water.... I tripped the nipple with my Lavender Orp. watching... She drank.... the others watched... FINALLY they all figured it out.... I know chickens are smart, some are a little apprehensive and S L O W.....

That is their only water now.... Amazing what they want to learn...
I think that is the key, having just the nipples, they are smart. I may try again in the spring and see if they will use it.

Thanks for all the replies! Just an added experience I had, so you all know...
It got to -14 here. The heated buckets froze solid. Which shocked me. I'm really trying to avoid bringing them into the house...and the ducks too! What a mess that would be!!!
I like the idea of switching out to a smaller watering system, but it could freeze. We had a week of below zero. Anywhere to -9 to -19. Once it reached about freezing it still wasn't conducive to any sort or defrosting. Blergh!
The chickens were in my house for almost 3 weeks straight. They also had to come in 2 other times, just for a few days(to prevent frostbite)
Hopefully that's been solved!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Just an added experience I had, so you all know...
It got to -14 here. The heated buckets froze solid. Which shocked me. I'm really trying to avoid bringing them into the house...and the ducks too! What a mess that would be!!!
I like the idea of switching out to a smaller watering system, but it could freeze. We had a week of below zero. Anywhere to -9 to -19. Once it reached about freezing it still wasn't conducive to any sort or defrosting. Blergh!
Really? thank goodness my heated buckets kept going in last years frigid temps the ice was all around the top but the buckets kept the water thawed. I make sure they are out of wind to which may help to contribute to the freezing. sorry they didn't work for you. That' s a bummer. I can't imagine having 32 flock members in my house and I don't have a basement. 4 are geese wow what a mess.

Well, it's going to get to -3 here so I'm adding a second water source to the run..... This is 2 1/2" PVC with a couple horizontal nipples added to it.... It is heated with a 50 watt aquarium heater.... I use it in my "Chicken Jail".... I'm putting it in the run for a second water system in the event the main water system, 5 gallons, freezes.... I have too much money invested in my birds to not do this.... I realize my birds drink 1 gallon of water per day so I will need to check it pretty often.... it only hold about 1 gallon.... it's about 36" tall.... When I get my stuff together, I will make one out of 4" PVC.... that would hold a lot more water.... a 36" pipe will hold very close to 2 gallons...

Well, it's going to get to -3 here so I'm adding a second water source to the run..... This is 2 1/2" PVC with a couple horizontal nipples added to it.... It is heated with a 50 watt aquarium heater.... I use it in my "Chicken Jail".... I'm putting it in the run for a second water system in the event the main water system, 5 gallons, freezes.... I have too much money invested in my birds to not do this.... I realize my birds drink 1 gallon of water per day so I will need to check it pretty often.... it only hold about 1 gallon.... it's about 36" tall.... When I get my stuff together, I will make one out of 4" PVC.... that would hold a lot more water.... a 36" pipe will hold very close to 2 gallons...

That's cold Dave, lets us know how they do. I have goose jail by the way.

SPCA hasn't said squat to me about my jail YET.... of course they haven't seen it....
Mine either but mine is just the front yard, I have to put my geese in jail every evening so everyone else can go in with being harassed by the thugs. You can show us a pic though we won't say anything

Back
Top Bottom