Frozen water this morning!

For my chickens i use a heated chicken waterer.. and for my ducks and geese i use heated dog water bowls. I also use heated dog water bowls for my pigs..
We use extension cords.. no other choice.

Quote:
then we would have to carry out the water to the coop
Do you live by the bay or inland?
in 20 degree weather how often do you go out to your water to replace them during the daytime from 7am to 10 pm.
i know juneau ar get dark at 4pm now.
does your eggs freeze too?

Quote:
Then we'd have to carry out water a couple times a day..i'd suspect.
Never had it happen yet though.
fl.gif

Hubby would be doing the work anyway.. so i'm not really worried..
big_smile.png

Quote:
in 20 degree weather how often do you go out to your water to replace them during the daytime from 7am to 10 pm.

Once in the morning... they get water at 10-11am and I replace it the next morning. They have light from 10am to 12pm. They have snow available and they actually prefer it. I bring the water to them and they run out the door to eat snow.
roll.png
I am inland, I'll see 40 below before winter is over.

Quote:

Once in the morning... they get water at 10-11am and I replace it the next morning. They have light from 10am to 12pm. They have snow available and they actually prefer it. I bring the water to them and they run out the door to eat snow.
roll.png
I am inland, I'll see 40 below before winter is over.

I am inland, I'll see 40 below before winter is over. ouch that is cold up there but u get used to it.
now i understand why you think 60 is hot up there.what breeds of chicken do u have?

now i have to convince my hubby
old.gif
that chickens don't need heater when it drop below 50s but still used my water cookie tin heater in the coop. and move outside water in sun for the winter months.
hide.gif
last yr we got to 9 above but we didnot have chickens yet.
my hubby had ac in coop in it hit 85 and set it at 70
hide.gif

I'll be using a hydor mini heater in my nipple waterer. They are a flat, plastic, 12 watt heater that should heat it enough to keep it above freezing temps since we don't get that cold here in SW WA...maybe into the 20s. I used to use these in my small fish tanks and they work wonders. I also wouldn't mind using Marineland STEALTH heaters. Turn off on their own, entirely made out of plastic, wattages as low as 25 watts, shatterproof and very safe.

Last edited:
Tibetonwaterbowl.jpg

I use the electric dog bowls too...
cool.png

If the power goes out, you really need jugs of water set aside, probably at the house. We have a generator wired into the house and the barn pipe works during an outage, but I always have a few jugs of potable water so we can cope immediately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom