frozen water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by onecent, Dec 16, 2008.

1. onecent

onecent Songster

i had posted in the wrong section so im putting it here (sorry) [​IMG]

ok, i had seen a product yrs back called "miracle thaw" it was a flat piece of metal, and if you put anything on it that was frozen, it would immediately begin to thaw! it uses no electricity or batteries! ok, call me crazy [​IMG], but wouldn't this keep our chickens & pets water from freezing? every time i go in a thrift store or "junk shop" as i call them, i see these things, has anyone ever tried them? if not lets try them, might be the best 1.00 or less we ever spent [​IMG] oh, if you have tried them, & they dont work , please let me know.....ummm so i dont waste my ...1.00.. [​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Songster

I know what you are talking about. We had one years ago. Not sure if it would work or not. I just went to Wal-Mart and got a heated dog dish.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I was hoping... but...

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/showquestion.asp?faq=2&fldAuto=24

Now, I realize that the claims made by the manufacturers of “Miracle Thaw” and similar products have been debunked already. There has been a judgment against them. This would be old news if not for the fact that it is currently being sold in the middle of a popular mall complete with a demonstration of its miraculous ability to thaw an ice cube faster than a cookie sheet can. I’m not even sure that a death, due to food poisoning linked to the use of “Miracle Thaw,” would stop the sale of this product. I bet they are well-covered by fine print…​

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I actually have 2 of these packed away in a box somewhere [​IMG]

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I remember those things.

i have a heated dog bowl too

6. Jonny-Chicken

Jonny-Chicken In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Lowbanks, Ontario
    I also use a heated dog bowl. These can be picked up at Home Hardware or TSC Store.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Take any large polished piece of metal from a warm room and if it's a great conductor, will melt a tiny chunk of ice... but will stop as soon as the heat energy is gone. So.. yeah. No way it would really work.

8. Me too, I love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. onecent

onecent Songster

wow, ok thanks everyone!! i thought i was on to something!! i guess ill have to run that drop cord after all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: