Frozen Water!

LoveNewChicks

Songster
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
I don't know,
My Coop
My Coop
any ideas to keep the water NOT frozen (34 degrees at the coldest)
the water stayes in popcorn's coop at night
110549_chic-home-with-popcorn.jpg

and then goes outside in the day where popcorn scratches in her hay
110549_popcornmychickensideview.png

I give them hot water in the morning - takes a lot longer to freeze. And if you go out at midday and top it up again with hot water it will probably last until night - depends how cold it is. The bigger your water pot is the longer it will take to freeze.

I set the waterer inside a heated birdbath (with no water in bird bath) and it has worked great. I had the birdbath in storage in the garage and instead of going out and buying a different waterer I thought I would give it a try. It sits in their pen on top of a piece of hard pink foam insulation (wrapped in cloth) and the pen is wrapped with clear poly. Water hasn't frozen yet, but we are having an unusually weird/warm winter.

I bought a heated dog water bowl at a local pet store. It holds a gallon. There is a sensor in the plug so it only goes on when the outside temp is below 40 F (at the plug).

It was about $30, but it is something I have NEVER regretted buying (and I am cheap!). The water never froze last winter, and it was cold and below freezing for days on end.

I now have two
big_smile.png

you would not believe what I did, took apart a lamp and made a stand out of a cookie tin then put a large alluminum wash basin over it and the plastic waterer like yours on top....works great

Back
Top Bottom