Frozen Watermelon = LOVE

Mine absolutely adore watermelon, I think it actually ranks higher on the food scale then our orchard apples which they just recently discovered. I'll have to try freezing it. And I noticed today that a coupe of them, when let out, ran right for the cat food dish...sneaky chickens I have been wondering who is eating all the cat food.

Ya, watermelon is a big hit with my girls as well.

They pick the rind clean to the point that all that's left is the green shell and it rolls up like a fruit rollup
big_smile.png

I buy cantalope cut in half and feed my human kids the good stuff and then what is left looks like a bowl and I give them to the girls and they LOVE LOVE LOVE it they eat the whole thing. It makes everyone happy
big_smile.png

Watermelon here in the UK is rubbish, really bland and flavourless compared to the real stuff you guys get!
My girls get honeydew melon and they love it though! Seeds and all!

My girls are watermelon lovers too!!! With the heat we have been getting, I freeze just about all of their treats just to cool them off some. So far tomatoes, cantaloupe, and watermelon are their favorites.

I love watermelon, my wife and I will eat one a week when they are available. Still a tad early, but the will start showing up at the local farmers market soon,
our girls get the good leftovers, never tried freezing.

This is my 1st time to have chickens, so I am just learning all the "treats" they love!! I have 5 7-9 wk olds. They love yogurt, raisens, dried meal worms and most of all raw corn on the cob!!! They just go crazy for the corn!!!

Back
Top Bottom