Frozen while birds

Phunktacular

Songster
Oct 29, 2016
Fulton, NY
I raised and processed close to 70 Cornish crosses this past summer. I have about 20 more in the freezer because a sale fell through. I would like to cut them up but unsure about thawing them and re-freezing in vacuum seal. What risks do I run from thawing a few, cutting up and freezing again? Would probably make broth with the remaining carcass, as well.

I personally do not thaw and refreeze meat. I only get my meat from stores BTW. When I get fresh meat, I try to portion it into size that I use. Then I freeze all the extra bagged portions that I will not cook that day.
When we had a power outage years ago, and some of the freezer meat thawed somewhat, we used it up shortly thereafter.
I suggest you just keep those chickens frozen and take out quantity you will be preparing that day. (or next day if you decide to thaw in your refrigerator).
My suggestion is just my personal choice and opinion. I do not have a scientific answer to refreezing meat.:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I personally do not thaw and refreeze meat. I only get my meat from stores BTW. When I get fresh meat, I try to portion it into size that I use. Then I freeze all the extra bagged portions that I will not cook that day.
When we had a power outage years ago, and some of the freezer meat thawed somewhat, we used it up shortly thereafter.
I suggest you just keep those chickens frozen and take out quantity you will be preparing that day. (or next day if you decide to thaw in your refrigerator).
My suggestion is just my personal choice and opinion. I do not have a scientific answer to refreezing meat.:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Most meat in stores has been frozen once, already. So, in essence, you are freezing it a second time. Just first for you. I'm pretty confident I can do it without worry but, was hoping to hear from somebody who may have tried.

According to the USDA’s standards, it is safe to refreeze meat that has been thawed in the refrigerator (kept below 40f), or left outside the fridge for no more than 2 hours.
https://food.unl.edu/it-safe-refreeze-raw-meat-and-poultry-has-thawed

So yes, it is safe to thaw the chicken in the fridge, quickly cut your portions, and then refreeze. The bigger issue is that the integrity of the meat will be greatly reduced because each time the chicken is frozen, it loses moisture and the flavor quality is diminished.

According to the USDA’s standards, it is safe to refreeze meat that has been thawed in the refrigerator (kept below 40f), or left outside the fridge for no more than 2 hours.
https://food.unl.edu/it-safe-refreeze-raw-meat-and-poultry-has-thawed

So yes, it is safe to thaw the chicken in the fridge, quickly cut your portions, and then refreeze. The bigger issue is that the integrity of the meat will be greatly reduced because each time the chicken is frozen, it loses moisture and the flavor quality is diminished.

Thanks for the link. That basically tells you how long you have to get frozen food home and in the freezer from the grocery. One hour if it is above 90 F, two if below.

It's amazing how much longer the meat keeps in a vacuum bag. And by cutting them up you can save a lot of freezer space. I always cut them up before freezing but I only do a few chickens at a time. To do 70, even over a few days, you must have had an assembly line going.

I can't imaging how many pints of broth you can get out of those carcasses. I not only save the carcasses for broth, I save the bones from the cooked serving pieces, depending on how they are cooked and served. I collect the cooked bones in a gallon zip-loc bag in the freezer until it's full then cook them down in water in a crock pot overnight. After straining that is most of the liquid I use to make the broth. The cooked bones add some flavor and character to the broth. I only do about 45 dual purpose birds a year and keep my wife supplied with much better broth than you can get in a store plus give quit a bit to friends and relatives.

I'm retired so I have the time to make and can the broth but I consider that broth a huge side benefit to raising and processing my own chickens. If you haven't made broth I'd encourage you to at least try one batch. If you need a recipe let me know.

I refreeze meat often, never had any problems. I often buy large cuts or whole birds sometimes they are already frozen other times I freeze because I am not up for cutting and packaging at the time. Sometimes I'll even refreeze more than once *shock horror*. A lot of meat in the store has already been frozen and they then will defrost it, so when you take it home you're freezing it a second time.
I'll also say, I feel the USDA is very conservative in their recommendations. For me it is more of a guide line than a hard rule. But what can I say, I like to live dangerously I guess.

The USDA has a zero tolerance policy. Their goal is never anyone getting sick. Nothing borderline in those recommendations.

Another factor is that many people won't follow the guidelines that closely (sound familiar), like maybe guess the time instead of look at a clock. Or maybe 45 degrees instead of 40. So yes they are extremely conservative to protect people that won't follow directions. A lot of the usual guideline given on here regarding taking care of your chickens are the same, extremely conservative, for the same reason.

The USDA has a zero tolerance policy. Their goal is never anyone getting sick. Nothing borderline in those recommendations.

Another factor is that many people won't follow the guidelines that closely (sound familiar), like maybe guess the time instead of look at a clock. Or maybe 45 degrees instead of 40. So yes they are extremely conservative to protect people that won't follow directions. A lot of the usual guideline given on here regarding taking care of your chickens are the same, extremely conservative, for the same reason.

You do what you feel is best for you. I'm just not one of those people who believe that the USDA and other government agencies(or other organizations) are infallible. You can never be 100% safe even if you follow ever single guide line out there. Beside, info is always changing, things are evolving. Info we thought correct has been proven wrong.

safety wise it is fine... but if you have a sensitive palate you may taste the difference. I had some ground venison and some ground pork from 2 different sources that had been thawed, ground and refrozen. No one but me thought it tasted funny. I didn't know it had been roasts that were thawed and ground until I said something... I ate it anyway since I am not wasting food, just added hot sauce or garlic to mine lol

Back
Top Bottom