Fruit Cocktail Tree.. Anyone have one??

Do you only have room for one tree? If so, it may be a good option to get a tree grafted with different fruits.

It reminds me of the Skittles commercial. "Taste the rainbow." :)

Yeah, my yard is pretty small, and its also very "shaded", and surrounded by woods..
So i dont have many spots to put many trees.. :(

There is no one kind of "fruit cocktail tree" so it's hard to say if it'll be hardy for you. As per your links, what they are is a tree with several different fruit tree branches grafted onto one main trunk. So any fruit tree that is hardy in your area can be used to put together a "fruit cocktail tree." You can do different apples and pears on one tree, but I don't know off-hand about peaches and plums being hardy in Western MA. So I'd first suggest finding out what fruit trees can be grown where you are, then sorting them into groups that are related enough to each other that they can be grafted together. An alternative is to do the "four trees in one hole" bit, whereby you plant close together several different trees, ideally those that ripen at different times, and allow them to grow together sort of as a shrub. See the link below for more info.

:)

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/BOC_explained.html

Thanks! :)

Those trees should grow in your zone and ripen. Make sure which ever cultivar is good for your zone to be sure. One thing about those fruit cocktail trees is you have to prune them equally as one variety may outgrow the other and dominate the tree and force the slow growing variety out.

Back
Top Bottom