#!$%* Fruit flies!

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
NE PA
I have become over run with fruit flies, I thought I would share what I found on line for a fruit fly trap

Simple Yeast Trap for Fruit Flies

1. Use a one-pint glass jar. Add 1/4 - 1/3 cup of warm (not boiling) water. Sprinkle a package of activated dry yeast over the water. Add one teaspoon of sugar to activate the yeast. Swirl the yeast liquid. In a few minutes, the sugar will cause the yeast to foam and expand and start producing CO 2 .

2. Take a small plastic bag (like a sandwich Baggie
00ae.png
) and place over the mouth of the jar with one corner reaching into the jar.

3. Poke a small hole (no more than 1/8-inch diameter) in the corner of the bag with a pencil.

4. Secure the bag around the rim with a rubber band or canning ring.

This trap will immediately begin attracting flies, which will crawl down the plastic, through the hole and into the jar. Once captured, most of them will be unable to find their way back out. Fruit flies tend to be active during the daytime, so make sure your trap is on the counter during the day.

Some captured female fruit flies will lay eggs, which hatch into maggots. These maggots will feed on the yeast liquid in the bottom of the jar. At 77 degrees F, it will take about one week for fruit flies to develop through three maggot stages, pupate and produce a second generation of adult flies. (At 70 degrees F, this life cycle will take about 10 days.) Once they are mature, the maggots will crawl up the inside of the jar to pupate. At this point, it will take less than a day for them to emerge.

Most of these second generation flies will be unable to find their way out of the trap, but to prevent any escapees, you may want to dump the contents of the yeast trap and clean out the jar to kill the larvae. Dumping the trap one week after you initially made the trap should be soon enough. If you dump the contents in the sink, flush the pipe with water for a minute to make sure larvae are flushed into the sewer system. If you still have fruit flies, you'll need to make a new yeast trap.

If the flies you have don't seem to be interested in the trap, you may have a different species of fly and will need to consult with someone (like your local extension educator) who can identify your flies.

People who have used these traps have been amazed at how fast they work.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/FruitFlyTrap.shtml

OMG! i've been there and never want to go back!

we tried everything and nothing work! the only way we got rid of them were we had house plants

we took all the house plants out side for a few days and then change the dirt in the pots...the flies lay there eggs in the dirt..so now we change our house plant dirt at least once every 2 months

I don't know what it is this year but they seem especially bad around here. I know many people that have been complaining about them and my grandmother's house was polluted with them.
Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom