FRUSTRATED!! No vet.

ChickPeas

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Iron Station, NC
How the heck can I find an avian vet? There is one I can go to, but he's in a couple of cities over.

There is one in my area, but I can't see her til next week. ARGH. :mad:

My Francine saw my regular vet on Friday 4/18....she doesn't know alot about chickens, but she does do some avian stuff. I printed out some info from here and she kinda went by that for her diagnosis.

Francine is a 5 -6 week old Bantam plymouth rock, acting totally normal (eating, drinking, preening, pooping..) except for her right swollen eye and partially opened beak d/t the swelling. the beak has gone down some though.

She got .1 ml of Tylan by mouth for 3 days and she has Terramycin in her water. I also put a triple antibiotic in her eye twice daily. She still looks swollen....a teeny better, but it's still puffy. Foreign object maybe?
hmm.png

I'm not sure what to do for her...she's seperated from the rest even though there is no sneezing, coughing, etc., but I'm sure if the others catch a glimpse of her swollen eye, that'll be the end of her.
sad.png

Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!!
smile.png

I am sorry about your chicken. I don't have any advice but I am thought I would lend some moral support.

Sounds like it could be Coryza. Check for a fowl odor from the area. If so, I hope you separated this bird right away from your flock and sanitized everything as this is very contagious. You can treat this with Gallimycin, but if this is what you have, you are best off to cull as this can come back, and the bird will be a carrier afterwards no matter what. Sorry

From what I've read, Coryza is supposed to have a stinky goo. She doesn't. She has no smell, no nasal discharge, no sneezing, no rattling lungs-nada. She seriously appears to be a normal, happy chick, except for the swollen eye.

he.gif

That's why I asked you to check for a smell. Sorry, that's all I can think of that does that kind of thing.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I've always used Terramycin opthalmic ointment for any eye injuries, which I can get at tractor supply. I'm not sure if there is anything more that you can do than what your vet already helped you with. Sometimes it just takes patience. Be sure to isolate you chick though, just in case it is something contagious.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I've always used Terramycin opthalmic ointment for any eye injuries, which I can get at tractor supply. I'm not sure if there is anything more that you can do than what your vet already helped you with. Sometimes it just takes patience. Be sure to isolate you chick though, just in case it is something contagious.

Back
Top Bottom