Frustrated w/ coop research!

No indication of how many birds, but since you were looking at smaller coops, one of these might work for you: This would be the easier of the two to build. Good for about 6 birds or so. Also easy to attach a run to it. About 5 sheets of 1/2" plywood and maybe a dozen 2 x 4's. Below is the "Woods Mini"........our man Scott may be working on this one. If not, you can be the first. About the same material list and a bit more of a challenge to build, but way cool if you did.
------------ Do you know... Has Scott completed his evaluation of the dimensions to ensure that it would function with the proper physics for the air cushion ? I remember Dr. Woods writinging in his book that the ratios of dimensions in the coop needed to be correct or the air cushion wouldn't function properly. It was really nice of him to put all those measured drawings in his book to make it easy to understand. Thanks, Karen

Last edited:
Http://www.hathitrust.org
Search:
modern fresh air Poultry houses Woods 1924
For his book.
Check out page 11 on dr. Woods book. see the coop with cupola running the entire length of the Ridgeline ?
I built one like that once ,not realizing it was a version of the open-air coop. mine did not have any open windows on the sides. but it had Plexiglass sliders on the cupola so you could open and shut the ventilation in the cupola. Of all the Coops I had , this is the only one where I did not have a severe problem with frostbite on the on the Combs. the only change I would make would be too hinge the roof so one side of the roof could be lifted up to clean the coop.
mine was 4 feet by 3 feet wide and long and 4 feet high to the bottom of the cupola.
Unfortunately, I found out it was an early version of the open air Coop after I sold it.
Just a thought,
Karen
In Ligonier , Western Pennsylvania

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom