Frustrated...What age can the chicks be on their own?

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
I have two silkie hens that went broody, they hatched chicks and I hatched chicks in the bator? So the chicks are all the same age (8 weeks now)

I tried to integrate the bator chicks with the hen's chicks...with the two mothers. At first it seemed to be ok, and then I caught the mean mother chasing and pecking the bator chicks. Then I caught the mean mother take feed away from her own chicks and gobble it down, then that evening again chasing the bator chicks. I kicked her out of the silkie pen and put her in with the Red Sex Link Layers. After I removed her from the group, the nice mother took the bator chicks under her wings. She has 2 of her own and two bator chicks and for about 4 days now life has been good. I just went into the silkie pen and I caught the nice mother chasing and pecking at the bator chicks!!!!!

What gives????

Right now I removed both mothers from the pen and just have the chicks in the pen...food, water, brooder lamp...

I don't know if I am doing the right thing...I just don't understand.

PLUS...I have a Broody Red Sex Link and I am not getting eggs from her and how to break that...I did read putting her in a wire crate with food and water for a couple of days (lifted off the ground so the cool air gets to her belly) is this the way?

flustered.
tia

You are fine. Take momma away, and let the chicks integrate. As long as it is warm enough without momma.

Momma: She'll get over it.

All the babies will be okay without their mamas by now. Keep in mind that just because they're the same age doesn't mean they'll take anyone's offspring...no more than trying to stick extra pups in with a nursing dog - some may take the extras, but many would not.

As for breaking the broody - sounds like you've covered it all. Don't put bedding (any nest like materials) in the pen. The rest you have
smile.png

Thanks!

the nice mother is having a bit of a freak out, but she can see and hear her chicks through chicken wire...I just want the two bator chicks to integrate with the other chicks...I just went in and checked and all 4 chicks are cuddled together...I do have a brooder lamp they can go under if need be.

I have a banty cochin that will raise her chicks forever... i separated this batch of chicks when they were about 9 weeks old, wanted to integrate them with 4 others of the same age, that I had originally hoped I could slip in with her.

It worked, except for one chick, now named baby, because they were separated by a piece of plywood, mama would cluck at one side, and baby would chirp at the other side. Baby and Mama didn't eat or drink, for about 3 days, so I finally caved in and removed the divider. The chicks were also with 3 other banties about 4 weeks older, their was a bit of pecking the first day or sold, but mama and baby were so happy.

At 8 weeks, your chicks should be fine, but if her and her chicks can hear each other, it might be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom