Frustrated with all the options

Pics
Buyer beware!

I just recently received my order of Salmon Faverelle chicks from Cackle Hatchery. This is the first time I have ordered from this hatchery.

I had ordered 14 female and 4 male for a total of 18 chicks. They hatched on a Wednesday and arrived on Friday around lunch time. Pretty good turnaround considering that the Post Office Tracking indicated they would arrive by 9pm on Saturday. I was very concerned that they would arrive late and be stuck in the post office until the following Tuesday as Monday is Presidents Day.

I called Cackle Hatchery about an hour after I had gotten them settled. One arrived dead (female) and one had a defective leg (male). They said that the one that was dead would not be reimbursed for since they always add some extra chicks (I received one extra female). But they would reimburse me for the defective male which I accepted.

That night one more of the males died, and in the morning I found two more males dead leaving me with only one rooster. Normally I would not be concerned about not having enough roosters, but I wanted to breed these birds and incubate the eggs. I thought I would need at least two roosters.

I called Cackle Hatchery on Saturday morning explaining the situation. The short version is that they had listened to my phone conversation and had already been reimbursed for one chick and since I had said the others appeared to be doing well (except the gimp male) they had decided that the other deaths were not their responsibilities. They further explained that I had checked the boxes indicating that I had read and agreed to their "new policy".

I have never purchased from this hatchery and was unaware of their "new policy". But I do not remember that it said I would only be reimbursed for anything that died after they had asked if all the other chicks were okay.

Lesson learned! I had 48 hours in which to call them to report any problems. I was under the impression that Cackle Hatchery would acknowledge any problems with the chicks within in that time, even though I had called and answered their inquiry. I only had the chicks at home for about an hour.

My concern is that if I now loose the last male, I will have to order another group of birds in order to get another male. If that happens, I certainly will not be ordering from Cackle Hatchery.

Angry as a wet hen!

I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.
I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.
Dominique’s are very cold weather hardy. Rose comb is an advantage against frostbite. They do tend to lay less in winter months. Great personality makes up for reduction of eggs Though.

Attachments

• 5921E8CA-4D1E-40ED-8061-BCB806646873.jpeg
    5921E8CA-4D1E-40ED-8061-BCB806646873.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 6
Remember….even sexed bird are only 90% accurate. Also allow for unexpected…if you want 6 hens get 8….in case. Or get 6 knowing u may have to add later which is fine….I’ve had some GREAT bird from hatcheries …likely not show quality but birds that were beautiful, lived very long productive lives…very happy with. And a few that were great birds but not the best quality. My fave, a lav. Silkie was the best broody mom, raise several clutches and the sweetest girl…but after 4 or 5 yrs she stopped laying and never went broody again…but she is 8 now and still THE sweetest girl and I will always love her.. my profile pic is her. She is tiny and hatched some very large fowl. Hilarious watching them roost and her “chics” were way bigger than she was! She never kicked them out. Some of my other girls would walk them into coop at 10 weeks and done!
I love raising the babies so I would stick with babies…I have always found homes for roosters I couldn’t keep.

Remember….even sexed bird are only 90% accurate. Also allow for unexpected…if you want 6 hens get 8….in case. Or get 6 knowing u may have to add later which is fine….I’ve had some GREAT bird from hatcheries …likely not show quality but birds that were beautiful, lived very long productive lives…very happy with. And a few that were great birds but not the best quality. My fave, a lav. Silkie was the best broody mom, raise several clutches and the sweetest girl…but after 4 or 5 yrs she stopped laying and never went broody again…but she is 8 now and still THE sweetest girl and I will always love her.. my profile pic is her. She is tiny and hatched some very large fowl. Hilarious watching them roost and her “chics” were way bigger than she was! She never kicked them out. Some of my other girls would walk them into coop at 10 weeks and done!
I love raising the babies so I would stick with babies…I have always found homes for roosters I couldn’t keep.
So true! It's all about what you want out of a flock. Enjoyment, eggs, meat? Who cares about "top quality stock" unless you're going to show, or maybe if you're going to breed and need this very first batch for some reason, to be the final foundation stock?
Best to recognize if you're over-thinking, and stop and think about what really matters for your own goals...

I know this thread is a bit old but I'm curious... What did you end up going for?

Back
Top Bottom